top speeds..

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: top speeds..

Post by fowljesse »

I ducked out of this discussion, because I felt like we were all losing. However, I did look into it, and found the only relevent information (that wasn't theory) was from Googling "Bonneville + weight affects top speed". The conclusion;
It does.
There could be mountains of evidence on both sides, and we could appoint a judge, and jury. I'm not going to post any more about this. If you convince everyone that it doesn't, that's fine by me.
:shrug:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

In theory - It only affects it via the rolling friction of the vehicle.

In reality - There are so many variables its nearly impossible to list and account for them all, so there is lots of factors that could possibly affect what you have all experienced. Heck, wind direction, humidity, temperature, altitude, and time of day, where your excess weight was located (lowering the vehicle would reduce the drag, maybe even enough to have gains), may all very well have calculable effects....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

297kph...oh wait...that was the RC51...nevermind. My MX-3 is slowwwww.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I hope you see what I'm trying to explain, but I think this may be a problem for Mythbusters ;)
this is the best solution I have seen in this whole thread haha

keep debating gentlemen... the sky's the limit :mrgreen:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

wytbishop wrote:297kph...oh wait...that was the RC51...nevermind. My MX-3 is slowwwww.
Not with your new gearing, right?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

no that was with stock front and -1 on the back. The way it is now, top speed is around 250 - 260kph. But I have a hard time keeping the front wheel in touch with the pavement.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
93mx-3boy

Post by 93mx-3boy »

i was reading this awile ago and i thought i would give it a try and it is posable i own a stock 93 v6 gs the only thing i have is a cold air intake (don't think it will make a huge differnce) and i hit 142...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I Win! :mrgreen:

Also, the g/f got me checking out the Veyron's official site, and they seem to comfirm it
http://www.bugatti.com/en/veyron-16.4/t ... cture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A super sports car like the Veyron 16.4 needs to be light in order to reach top speeds
The Veyron’s high velocity is due to the perfect combination of engine technology, consistent lightweight construction
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I Win! :mrgreen:

Also, the g/f got me checking out the Veyron's official site, and they seem to comfirm it
http://www.bugatti.com/en/veyron-16.4/t ... cture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A super sports car like the Veyron 16.4 needs to be light in order to reach top speeds
The Veyron’s high velocity is due to the perfect combination of engine technology, consistent lightweight construction
To me it would make sense this way as well. That was a good debate though. I enjoyed reading it.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

When you're talking excessive speeds, like 400kmph, then every little bit starts to count. Not only do you need the acceleration in order to reach that 400 within any reasonable distance, but when you're working against that massive ammount of resistance, you need to lighten the car in order to remove as much rolling resistance as possible, because you need to focus all of your power on the air.

Lets think about downforce while we're here, too. Thats a way of increasing thge force between the car and the pavement while moving fast, in order to increase stability without hurting acceleration as much as pouring concrete in the trunk would.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”