i need exhaust, your opinions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tom_finn

i need exhaust, your opinions

Post by tom_finn »

ok so i need a whole new exhaust, from those of you that have bought exhaust for your mx3s online, which are the best, and probably the one to go with on my car?

1993 mx3 SE
tom
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: i need exhaust, your opinions

Post by SuperK »

It depends on what you want from your car. Comfort or aggression?

I have a carsound cannon exhaust on my V6 ZE, and with a silencer installed, is very quiet. Without the silencer, highway travel becomes painful.
I also have a I4 with a flowmaster 60 series exhaust, and it's got a deep, throaty tone that's very mellow and is also extremely comfortable.

My I4 used to have a cannon on it, and that little engine will make your ears bleed, it's so loud. :( meh.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Well since you have an RS you probably won't be getting headers. If you need a new cat, get a catco or magnaflow high flow cat (not the test pipes)...from there I went with a 28" cherry bomb as my resonator and a magnaflow muffler w/ a 3" tip. Not as quiet as stock, but I have my car gutted right now and it's not annoying to me. Has a small drone range but it only last about 400 rpms. I have a V6 so it might now sound as nice on a 4 cyl. I can try to post a sound clip if you want. If you aren't planning on upgrading your engine in the future, honestly, I would stick w/ stock and go to a local muffler place and get their lifetime warranty stuff. It will be quiet and you won't have any complaints...no adding exhaust to your 1.6L without any other mods (CAI doesnt count) will not do much if anything. A new cat (I highly recommend buying it yourself in either case) will probably give you the most bang out of anything since your old cat is old and probably clogged a bit.

If you plan to get a BP in the future, an exhaust might be a nice investment. If you want to turbo, its even better. If not, stick with stock :) It will be cheaper anyway!
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

ok cool, thanks for the opinions
tom
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

what about headers does anyone make them or would it have to be a custom job for a b6 de ?
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

there are some available, corksport do one or sell one, i used the probe one, but it needs customising slightly
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

You posted this in the 4cyl section but say you have an SE???
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

wasn't there a link to sound clips of MX3 exhausts? like.. someone posted them before?

If not, I'd like to hear what everyone's exhaust sounds like!
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

and about mow much would the whole system cost, pipes, cat, and muffler?
tom

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”