NEW custom LED Taillight project [updated pics!]

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Urbanconcept

NEW custom LED Taillight project [updated pics!]

Post by Urbanconcept »

Some of you may remember my last LED taillight project....

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I went to Princess auto to get some more fun toys to play with lol. They had a sale on the same LED tails I used in that setup. However there weren't any left. I did pick up some 4 inch round clear LED tails...

Here are a few pics of the taillight with the lense removed...

And a couple pics of where I plan to install these new lights...

I do plan on doing some minor cutting to make these tails fit. I might even do something about the space around them. I'll wait until I have them mounted where I want them to make that decision.

Updated pics!!!! Two LED tails mounted! Going to get some little fog lights for the reverse and decide on a turn signal tomorrow.

Last edited by Urbanconcept on January 4th, 2008, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
matt753

Post by matt753 »

Looks great, can't wait to see how it turns out!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

^--X2
I just picked up a set of tail lights from the salvage yard, time for me to give it a go at custom tails too :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Urbanconcept

Re: NEW custom LED Taillight project [updated pics!]

Post by Urbanconcept »

Two new pics added. Im still trying to decide what to cover them with. Any ideas guys?
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

I still dream about a mazda 6 conversion

But for your configuration it may not work.....
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Yeah that def won't work. I've already done all the body work on my car. Putting those tails in would require a whole lot of cutting and then repainting etc.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

I've decided to go a different route with my next LED project. So I'm going to return these clear 4" tails to princess auto in exchange for some regular 3 3/4" tails. I plan on making my new set of tails look stock (except when lit at night!!).
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Urbanconcept wrote:I've decided to go a different route with my next LED project. So I'm going to return these clear 4" tails to princess auto in exchange for some regular 3 3/4" tails. I plan on making my new set of tails look stock (except when lit at night!!).
awesome idea!
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
spidy53red

Post by spidy53red »

keep the projects coming !!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Jovian2k wrote:
Urbanconcept wrote:I've decided to go a different route with my next LED project. So I'm going to return these clear 4" tails to princess auto in exchange for some regular 3 3/4" tails. I plan on making my new set of tails look stock (except when lit at night!!).
awesome idea!
Nice...that is the direction I was thinking of going in.
:D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
JeremyP

Post by JeremyP »

you could just wire in 1157 and get LED taillight bulbs from princess auto...they have like 9leds in them...2.99 onsale right now...back up to 6.99 in a few days...thay have red and amber...just a thought...dont know if its what your looking for.
94' KF-ZE, 2 Tone black and gray, Projectors and altezzas ( black ), CAI, moulded mazdaspeed mini sides. Raised spoiler.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

JeremyP wrote:you could just wire in 1157 and get LED taillight bulbs from princess auto...they have like 9leds in them...2.99 onsale right now...back up to 6.99 in a few days...thay have red and amber...just a thought...dont know if its what your looking for.

Tried that before. It doesnt look right thought. The reason being that the bulbs in our taillights mount in from the bottom instead of from behind like in most taillights. I'm still planning on retrofitting some big truck LED's into a stock housing. I think there are something like 18 LED's for each of my break lights in my new setup. I'll prob just keep the turn signal as a stock bulb.
v6powered

Post by v6powered »

any updates?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Car was sold. Check out the FS post to see pics of the tails on the car

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”