New Brake Pads Pretty Much SUCK...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Gods Father

New Brake Pads Pretty Much SUCK...

Post by Gods Father »

i recently just replaced my brake pads not the rotors because i dont really have money for them and i wanted to get some nice ones...but my pads were worn to the metal so i just replaced those with some cheap advanced auto pads...but since i replaced them the brakes dont work too good...the lines are all bled and are not squishy...the pedals pretty tight...i hae to jam my foot down on them and it takes forever to stop...i dont know what the problem is?...do i just need to break them in? any suggestions? thanks
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
nissanfreak8

Re: New Brake Pads Pretty Much SUCK...

Post by nissanfreak8 »

Did you do anything to the rotors, or just put the new pads in?

You probably need to have the rotors turned to get the crap off them, or at least try some brake clean on them.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If the rotors are grooved from normal wear, or especially from the metal under the pads, they need to be "turned" (resurfaced). Otherwise, you have to wait for the new pads to conform to the grooves, so they have enough contact. Run your fingers against the grooves, and if it feels bumpy (more than a record), they should be turned.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Bit of a long shot, but you check your brake booster hose which goes to your intake manifold. Your symptoms sound very like my brakes when I just installed the ZE and left the booster hose off :oops:

Either that or they have glazed/got grease on them. Did you give the a few 100 miles easy braking first?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

i had already checked the vacuum line to the booster i think i just need to clean the rotors up a little its been sitting for a while so they are looking kinda bad...prolly just that...it just didnt feel like it would be something like that...but then again i guess ive never felt something like that before so how would i know...thanks guys ill try some brake clean and whatever else...thanks again
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i always just replaced my rotors when i did my brakes, brembo replacement rotors were like 20 a piece, so it made since to just do brakes and rotors at the same time.

I would say if you went with a cheaper pad it could be them, especially if you went with duralast (i made the mistake of being broke and having to change pads, and went with duralasts and within the same weekend did another pads to ones that would actually stop you)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

the rule of thumb is 30 brake applications from 30mph to seat the pads. If the pads are cheap and you'll be replacing the rotors and getting better quality pads in the future I'd just wear them in nicely and they should come around. Use a wire brush to remove the heavy rust and then go to a parking lot and wear them in.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Speedtech_7gc

Post by Speedtech_7gc »

if you were to buy these brake pads from autozone. Make sure you get the that says gold. Anything under 40 dollars are crappy. mad brake dust and squealz like cccraaaazzyy...
taylor_matt

Post by taylor_matt »

I just bought new premium rotors for 30-40$ , for the pair. If i were you i would just spend the extra $ and get the rotors as well.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-MX ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good deal really, Mintex are big with the VW crowd I think, they are from europe. get a set to match for the rear and be done with a nice upgrade to safety and performance :)

or go curiously cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-MX ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”