Update - Thanks for Help with HEI mod wiring on 94 MX-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Re: Help with HEI mod 3pin connector wiring on 94 MX-3

Post by solo_ryder »

Well according to the the FAQ for the HEI and what I have done on a previous HEI Mod, you just cut the orange wire heading to the 6 pin plug. SO just before it goes into the plug *Snip*.
neumann

Re: Update - Thanks for Help with HEI mod wiring on 94 MX-3

Post by neumann »

Thanks to everyone especially solo_ryder, shameem and Gro Harlem for helping me navigate the HEI and external coil mod, particularly the differences on the 94 disty.

I have put about 200 kilometres on the car (125 miles) in the last 3 days. The first time I drove it it was idling weird at intersections and the CEL would come on if i suddenly lifted off the throttle. I figured it might just be part of the ECU resetting itself. Or maybe bad stale gasoline from April. The tank was not completely full, but I had used fuel stabilizer. Anyhow I stopped to add a half tank of gas and the next 100 miles in 10 trips have been fine. The last half mile home tonight it was hesitating a little in hard acceleration in 1st gear, almost like a vaccuum leak but it might be nothing. I will check that i didn't mess something up in the reinstall. I had removed some air intake pieces for access to the disty when doing the work.

I will try and take some time to write up and post "an idiot's guide to the HEI and external coil mod and the weirdness of the 94 disty" including my lessons learned.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Update - Thanks for Help with HEI mod wiring on 94 MX-3

Post by mx3matt »

i'm so glad i found this lol. gonna go pick up a new cap and rotor and try again lol.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”