free sub box designs and my current build

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
thumpinmx

free sub box designs and my current build

Post by thumpinmx »

big snow storm here so stuck inside all day:( good thing for anyone that needs a box designed for there mx pm me... help me stay busy lol

Hear is what I am building tomorrow.... :)-
Build includes
cover the whole car in second skin
make custom brackets for 300amp alternator
install 2 kinetik 2400's in hatch
4 runs of 1/0 gage wire
big 3 with 1/0
deck- kenwood excelon kdc-991
mids and tweets - 6 1/2 mid 1" tweet
components amp - sundown sax-100.2
Sub - 15" FI BTL Fully loaded dual 2ohms
sub amp - saz-3000d

Then on my TL meter any guess on what it will hit hehehe?
Also building another box 4 cuft @ 52hz :wink:

Last edited by thumpinmx on November 23rd, 2008, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
chew*

Re: free sub box designs and my current build

Post by chew* »

For the "52" hz box don't use any internal supports, instead double layer it 2 sheets mdf for each side, also you can learn from my mistakes, over size it a little so that you can fiberglass all the corners inside the box and round them out giving the air pressure less resistance and better flow.

In the back behind the tirewell on both sides there are "vents" that vent to the outside of the car, the cabin pressure relief vents all cars have. Might want to run a couple layers of dynamat xtreme over those .

Be very carefull testing SPL if the window on the drivers side is down the car gets a standing wave. SPL will shoot up 3 DB on the floor and 1.5 on the dash. The windshield breaks at about 159 measured on the floor with a AC 190. Save breaking the windshield for a competition, that usually draws attention ;)
got db's? If your windshield ain't breakin you were taken.........
thumpinmx

Post by thumpinmx »

chew* wrote:For the "52" hz box don't use any internal supports, instead double layer it 2 sheets mdf for each side, also you can learn from my mistakes, over size it a little so that you can fiberglass all the corners inside the box and round them out giving the air pressure less resistance and better flow.

In the back behind the tirewell on both sides there are "vents" that vent to the outside of the car, the cabin pressure relief vents all cars have. Might want to run a couple layers of dynamat xtreme over those .

Be very carefull testing SPL if the window on the drivers side is down the car gets a standing wave. SPL will shoot up 3 DB on the floor and 1.5 on the dash. The windshield breaks at about 159 measured on the floor with a AC 190. Save breaking the windshield for a competition, that usually draws attention ;)

Thanks again Chew*....
I will make sure i throw some second skin over those cabin relief vents....
I will be careful during spl testing.... thanks for that tip you really know your mx's
One more question... should the port be on the drivers side or the passenger side of the car?
chew*

Post by chew* »

drivers side, and ditch the spare tire. The spare tire well is sort of key in this car, I still have no clue how it happens but with the spare tire removed and the well left uncovered its a 2 db gain minimum. I even went as far as to use a Dry Ice fogger in the car while burping a note, You can see the fog do a tornado in the spare tire well. I have no technical explanation about how it works it seems to slingshot it.

Ditch the carpet, Do a nice paint job or formica countetop finish, carpet will net you a 1/2 DB loss.
thumpinmx

Post by thumpinmx »

chew* wrote:drivers side, and ditch the spare tire. The spare tire well is sort of key in this car, I still have no clue how it happens but with the spare tire removed and the well left uncovered its a 2 db gain minimum. I even went as far as to use a Dry Ice fogger in the car while burping a note, You can see the fog do a tornado in the spare tire well. I have no technical explanation about how it works it seems to slingshot it.

Ditch the carpet, Do a nice paint job or formica countetop finish, carpet will net you a 1/2 DB loss.
Thanks again and any more tips feel free to give me some advice here... getting really excited about this build...... yeah i can air brush so i will ditch the spare tire and the carpet and just paint away.... not sure what i am going to do with the paint... sometimes it is just best to free hand it and go with it...
I was going to mount the amps in the hatch but maybe it is best to mount everything i the back seat... build a amp rack.... any ideas on that?
chew*

Post by chew* »

Batteries are tough. I had a narrow box ( Memphis MOJO's don't need alot of space for SPL, 4' cu ft total volume ) Mine were mounted next to my box drivers side. Amps were mounted on back of box. Problem is the 2600 kinetiks are rather large and if you place them on the floor behind the seat they kind of exceed the door jamb line, this will put you in a different class in competiton, instead of super stock it would put you in a Modified class. I would probably place them right where you planned if you can harness them down somehow. Amps place on box or amp rack off of box. My setup really wasn't preety however. I had pondered the sidewalls next to the back seat. Might be an idea for a clean look.
thumpinmx

Post by thumpinmx »

put the batteries in the back... made holders for them and mounted them directly to the floor those things are not moving haha.... built a amp rack in place of where the back seat was.... now just have to install it and fiberglass it to make it look sweet..... got the alt brackets made today at a local machine shop.....

so tonight mount amp rack and fiberglass it......
remove spare tire and carpet and airbrush.....

tomorrow...
install alt and like 60 feet of 1/0 wire
install box and mids and tweets.....
then after supper throw it on my tl and see what she does in the 35hz box....

then weekend build the 52hz box and she what she can do....

Getting really excited :mrgreen:
chew*

Post by chew* »

Awsome you should take some pics. Want to come help me with my project that i've been stalling on for quite some time?

This is the results of my mx-3 dominating the North East circuit for seasons 06 and 07, I took a break this year, money has been tight.

This is not all of them some were on loan to a local stereo shop that I've been dealing with for 10 years.

The windshield end of 07 season.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

So, chew, what would happen if you say in your car while doing these tests?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
chew*

Post by chew* »

Ryan wrote:So, chew, what would happen if you say in your car while doing these tests?
Well If not wearing headphones you can definitely do damage to your ears above 145. Some competitions require you to be outside the vehicle due to safety concerns, those with weak hearts have been know to have a heart attack triggered. Cars known to hit 150+ they require to be done remotely due to this in DB drag. Around 170 newspaper can be "shredded" No one sits in 170+, potential internal damage can occur.
thumpinmx

Post by thumpinmx »

chew* wrote:Awsome you should take some pics. Want to come help me with my project that i've been stalling on for quite some time?

This is the results of my mx-3 dominating the North East circuit for seasons 06 and 07, I took a break this year, money has been tight.

This is not all of them some were on loan to a local stereo shop that I've been dealing with for 10 years.

The windshield end of 07 season.
Holy s---! congrats man! Yeah man always willing to help.... be a learning experience forsure... just let me know when and where and we will go from there..... I have about 30 picutes of the install so far but not going to spoil anything now.. posting them all at once.... from start to finish and a video of it on the tl from today... going to try to have it all finished by friday so keep an eye out for the photos haha....

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”