Ebay buyers BEWARE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
colinf004

Ebay buyers BEWARE

Post by colinf004 »

over the summer I purchased a head gasket SET for $40 to build my engine, as well as rod bearings $60, piston rings set $30.. well I ran into problems 2 months later, my motor oil is now silver!! and I am leaking oil like crazy, over heated once due to a small hole in the line (easy fix). I relaize that probably the metal shavings that are appearing are probably from the rod bearings and piston rings( couldn't tell you why probably cheap parts) anywho I need to get a set of good reliable head gaskets, piston rings and rod bearings sometime in the duration of the winter. I now put my car away for the winter and bought a 97 golf VW. oh another thing is that when my car is in idle it completly stalls and skips like crazy when I am turing over ( timing is correct, new cap & rotor, plugs wires) I think I might be misfiring, but I just got my heads done so they are brand new!!
please I need loads of help in order to fix it, I want to try and not rip out my engine AGAIN, but if I have to I gotta do it right..... so any feedback would be greatly appreaciated, thank-you ladies and gents!!
quickPSE

Re: Ebay buyers BEWARE

Post by quickPSE »

yep , my G/F bought a gasket set for her RS and she still leaks oil, extremly bad
on the hunt for a MX3 GS 5-Speed
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

has anyone else who's bought piston rings and rod bearings, gasketset, building their motor encountered any problems
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i bought pistons and rings off ebay... but not gaskets..so i hope i dont get into trouble... i have been driving it for probably 6 months i think im alright..
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

There are certian things I wouldn't but cheap. Internal engine parts are on the list. Timing belts, pulleys, etc.. too. It's not worth the risk.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

fowljesse wrote:There are certian things I wouldn't but cheap. Internal engine parts are on the list. Timing belts, pulleys, etc.. too. It's not worth the risk.
Quoted for truth ^. No name eBay crap FTL.

Cheaping out on internals, tsk tsk. I'd put my money on having to rip apart the whole damn thing again, but at least if you're doing the work you won't have to pay for labour. Take it as a hard lesson well learned dude.
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Stupid question but your have all the specs and knowledge to do a rebuild? Micrometer, calipers etc. Tolerence specs are there for a reason. Lots of good machine shops in your area to do the machining and assembly for you with warranty.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I put my mx3 away for the winter, I guess I am going to rip out the engine I first built from scratch AGAIN... ah well it will keep me busy through the winter, + since I know how to do it once it should go a little smoother the 2nd time around....

just a quick note who would I buy head gaskets, piston rings, and rod bearings from? which company whould you suggest the best?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

if its a seal, a gasket, anything critical like that the only place you should be buying your parts is MAZDA, for 40 bucks i say you got what you paid for
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

For anyone reading this:
China has gotten VERY good at making copies of ALL kinds of things. They can make something cheap to look like ANYTHING you can think of. They can even put authentic looking labels, engravings, etc... on their junk. If something is significantly cheaper than something elses, it's probably junk. Buyer beware! I'm very careful about what I buy on Ebay. Even something as simple as bolts, that seem like they'd be impossible to screw up can be made out of low grade metal, or manufactured badly, so they can crack (example: cross drilled rotors). You'd think head gaskets are pretty much all the same... You could even hold up Ebay ones to Mazda ones, and they may look exactly the same..
I'm just saying... Beware!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I bought an ebay gasket set off of ebay for my eventual BP... paid ~80 for it. Hope it does well... DomesticGaskets or something. Cali based.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

like I said before, I bought the gaskets, rod bearings, and pistons rings back in early sept, so its not that old and I am seeing my engine oil flakey silver... my question is that would I have to go out and buy new head bolts or should I re-use them????? thoughts?
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

you cant re-use head bolts..they are strech bolts, and one time use only.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you should replace the headbolts every time you remove the head but you can get away with using them once after you remove them the 1st time.

in other words, for the new repair you need new headbolts
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

The manual provides an acceptable spec for reusing head bolts. I bought new ones, but ended up reusing them, as I had to tear apart heads again, but they were well within stretch spec. I say new ones though.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”