Heavy bass drops idle (even w/ cap)

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Heavy bass drops idle (even w/ cap)

Post by Jovian2k »

So I am running a setup in my car which made my car's idle fall when the bass hit (12" pioneer 1000w max subwoofer with 500w Jensen amplifier and pioneer head unit). I noticed it most when I am in drive at a stop light. I bought a rockford .5 farad capacitor... it seemed to help a bit but it still made my idle fall on hard bass hits. I upgraded to a 1.0 farad... and it still happens! May it be my alternator? Is my amp too weak? I double checked the cap install which is a-ok, and I charged the cap corectly also :wink: I thought a cap would help so why is it not?! :(
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
onlytrueromeo

Re: Heavy bass drops idle (even w/ cap)

Post by onlytrueromeo »

ALTS are weak on the RS. A 1F cap is more than enough for your setup...the jensen amp is poop...id say they always are...get a nice quality amp and it might improve things, but you should upgrade your alt. I have a 90 amp one I will sell for like 20+shipping if you want. You need to do only a little to adapt it. If it requires me giving you extra parts its not worth it, but look into it! I think the RS has a 60 amp alt. if I remember right.

I have a 250 RMS JL amp powering a JL 12W3V3 (I need more power but the thing hits HARD as it is) and I have had issues on my RS with the headlights dimming on my RS. Also running POLK MOMOS off a 500 JL amp w/ a 1F cap. With my GS (ZE) I have not had issues, but I have not done I bass test yet either.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

I think I have considered the 90 amp alt but...
had to swap pulleys from the old 60Amp to the 90Amp alternator because the "B" engine use a V-belt where the "K" engine use a serpentine belt. Also the Mounting bolts attach from the opposite side. Once the alternator is mechanically installed the wiring just plugs in
from the 4cyl to v6 FAQ...

its probably too much effort but thanks for the offer! I think you're right the 60 amp is pretty weak probably the cause :shrug:
Worklog
For Sale Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You can also get your alt. rewound at an alt. place to get higher potential out of it! (will cost more than getting a 90amp alt put in place)
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

ok first your cap is more that plenty for that system cause i have a 1 fared cap for a 2400RMS amp and 2 2000W RMS subs and its fine my lights dont dime maybe change your battery for a optama like i did... what size of power and ground wire are you using? and how long is your ground wire?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^You have a ZE w/ a 90 or 110amp alternator. The 60Amp one on the RS is significantly less. A battery upgrade might help if your battery is old, but its still related to the alternator as the power (even thought its attached to the battery) should be coming from the alternator. If it were drawing from the battery, the car would not be charging correctly.

You can try upgrading your grounds, terminals on the battery, and getting thicker cables in your engine bay and to your system. What gauge are you running? I would get 4gauge and redo the major grounds in the engine bay. This WILL help some. An alternator upgrade will also help.

IMO those are the ONLY 2 fixes for this problem...you could also get another battery and put it in the trunk for your system, but thats overkill, and silly for people who arent seriously into SPL.
chew*

Post by chew* »

Caps are useless and overrated. They are meant for burst only. If your into bass they are pointless, case in point go look up pics of SPL competition cars ( not SQL because SQL cars were never meant to be loud ), I doubt you will find any heavy hitters using a cap. I didn't and have or had the LOUDEST MX-3 to date. Look up kinetik batteries, IIRC woofersetc.com carries them still. The alternator in the car is fine as long as you have enough reserve power. A couple 1800 models one in the front to replace the original battery and one in the back will suffice. For reference I was running 4 2400 models and an optima yellow in the front when I cracked my windshield in my mazda @ 159DB.

Also Jensen amps aren't quite what I call efficient, Better quality amps actually have very large caps that store the power for bursts and more efficiently use power.
got db's? If your windshield ain't breakin you were taken.........
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

I think I have 8 gauge wiring for my amp ground and power with both power and ground minimizing any slack. I agree my Jensen amp is weak, I didn't particularly choose it my bro gave it to me and I've had it for about 6 or so years... hoping it breaks and gives me an excuse to buy a new one lol. I'm not looking to break any windows or rattle my hatch loose, just not have my car shake when the bass hits. I also dont want to spend tons of $$ on my setup just have a decent sounding one. For now I may upgrade to 4ga wiring and in the eventual future, boot the Jensen amp that is nearing retirement. If those don't remedy... I will look into the alternator upgrade. Good to have some more experienced minds investigating the situation, thanks!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The benefit of redoing grounds is possible increases in power, mileage, throttle response, etc. It wont be much but might be like 1-2hp lol
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

hey if you need some 4 gauges wires i can sell you mine for cheap because i need to upgrade to 0/1 gauges wires... let me know...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”