millenia 2.5 overheating

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
zzzoomx3

millenia 2.5 overheating

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i just got a 98 millenia and had to replace the water pump, i also replaced the thermostat, every weak and cracked hose i could find and its STILL overheating. the coolant keeps coming out of the reservoir overflow hose when it gets hot and i'm thinking about just pluggin it up, but not sure what this would do...i'm guessing there is some air in the system, but there's no way thats going to clear up if the coolant keeps spilling out of the overflow...anyone have any suggestions?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: millenia 2.5 overheating

Post by Mnemonic »

you have to clear the air yourself, basically you squeeze on the hoses while the car is running till you see no more air bubbles. Also you should check the radiator to make sure its flowing, as well as check your caps to make sure they are holding pressure. There is a pressure test kit you can get that will tell you if your system is holding pressure, i highly recommend getting one of these as i was having similar problems a while ago and found a leak that was only happening when the engine was under load.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

well both caps are brand new, so i know they are good - i'll get one of those testers - thanks. i was squeezing on the hose that goes to the inlet on the front of the engine (near the timing belt) and it seemed ok. but if i leave the cap off that inlet while the car is running, coolant just shoots out all over the place. so thats a no go. i guess my next step would be the radiator, how can i tell if its clogged - what in the world would clog a radiator?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

rust/corrosion (it does happen) What i did, is basically get you a water hose, disconnect the upper and lower radiator hose and let the water flow through it. if its flowing slower or not flowing at all well you know there is a problem.

so when you go to squeeze on the hoses, its already spitting coolant out? Sounds like major air pockets you'll just have to keep letting it spit out then fill it up more and more it sucks doing it this way but its still cheaper than taking it to a shop.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Sqeeze the lower rad hose vigourously to clear any air locks. Just because the caps are new dosen't mean they're any good. Swap them around and check. Sounds like either your rad is plugged (get it power flushed) or slim chance your water pump is no good. Leave the rad cap off and after the engine gets hot you'll see the coolant start flowing. My 5c worth.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

your fan might not be working either, check to see if it comes one.
1993 White gs klze.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

fan is working, the water is pump is good - i know this for a fact - i switched the caps around. whatever it is - it IS getting better, little by little. i just keep adding water whenever i go to drive it. when i do, the engine water level is low at the secondary inlet, but not much. the reservoir is also a little low, but that's because its still coming out of the overflow hose. i wont be able to flush it until tomorrow - which is gonna suck. i've probably spent about 40 bucks in antifreeze in the last two days..lol

does anyone know what would happen if i plugged up the overflow?
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

It will find somewhere else to escape if you plug the overflow.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

low and behold - theres a head gasket leak - YAY! f**kin people. so - i'm debating on replace engine for $900 or finance a car....hmmm....now one importer i talked to said that i had to use a 98+ ze for the 98 millenia, but another importer said that i could use any year ze for the 98 - anyone know the truth in either of those statements?
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

they are all the same motors.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Check sensors and if any are different swap yours over. Street Imports lists them as being compatable from 95 to 2002 for the Millenia L model. http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”