Car doesn't start after it's warmed up....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nsngarage

Car doesn't start after it's warmed up....

Post by nsngarage »

Just as it sounds, the car will start and idle after it sets for awhile, but If I drive it for 20 minutes and it's warm, I can turn it off, then it just doesn't want to start back up, it just turns over and over.. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe the timing is off a little? but really im not sure :(

any help would be greatly appreciated!@

Josh
93 MX-3 GS SE -- KLDE Motor, Full Drift Kit w/molded rear/sides. Project Airbags in the near future!
88 Toyota SupraT -- Complete teardown rebuild this winter! MX-3 Took priority in the garage! >:)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Car doesn't start after it's warmed up....

Post by mitmaks »

your disty is toast
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I remember reading somewhere that that's a symptom of a bad FPR solenoid.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

A bad disty would run fine like that, and then just die out? I just put a new cap and rotor in it like.. less than 100 miles ago...

That's the problem?
93 MX-3 GS SE -- KLDE Motor, Full Drift Kit w/molded rear/sides. Project Airbags in the near future!
88 Toyota SupraT -- Complete teardown rebuild this winter! MX-3 Took priority in the garage! >:)
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Mad Cow wrote:I remember reading somewhere that that's a symptom of a bad FPR solenoid.
Check for cel codes, I had this problem on a DE swap I did. Went to the JY and got one, put the solenoid on and no more starting problems.
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

When you're saying FPR, are you meaning fuel pressure regulator? If so, or even if not, where is it located? And im assuming that has nothing to do with the disty...
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Yea that's what we're talking about. The actual regulator is on the right side of the front fuel rail, it's the round thing with 2 hoses coming out. The solenoid is mounted to the left side of the stock airbox with an electrical connector and 2 vacuum hoses.

Although apparently the KLZE doesn't even need an FPR solenoid, maybe the DE works like that too, you can try bypassing it by plugging the vacuum line on the top of the FPR directly into a vacuum source (wherever the 2nd line of the solenoid goes into).
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
uscmx3

Post by uscmx3 »

could somebody give more information on this post as im suffering from the same thing? need advice
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

DISTRIBUTOR!

Its not the cap or rotor, its the internal coil, located right against the very hot block. The coating on the coil breaks down afterso many heat cycles, and you get weak, if any spark.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”