diesel

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
aufgehdraht

diesel

Post by aufgehdraht »

so i have a 94 with a b6 engine in it that is dead and i am looking into putting a new engine in it and was thinking about putting a diesel (turbo?) in it or maybe a bigger engine in it. does anybody know of anything that would be a direct transfer or with little effort besides putting a b8 into it?
Mi|<E

Re: diesel

Post by Mi|<E »

You can swap a BP in easy. I even have the wiring diagrams on my worklog for
a 94 mx-3 :)

Not much to splice.
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

if i get a naturally aspirated engine will the tranny that is in it fit into it and will it be able to handle the extra power it has a five speed in it right now
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If you get a BP your 5 speed tranny will bolt right up and handle the power fine. Its always recommended to get a new clutch and resurface the flywheel while its all apart.
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

after all is said and done how much more time and money is it to put in the bp over another b6? also supposedly the b6 is supposed to be a rather weak block would it be able to handle a port and polish and a new exhaust anything else i could do to it that would be cheap easy and give me a good return?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I wouldnt call the b6 a weak block, there have been quite a few who have turbo'd their b6's and made some nice power...but this is w/ a b6de (DOHC) which is what you have now. A BP will give you more bang for the buck, is a stronger platform, and should not be too difficult to put in...all the mounts will line up, and most of the wires are identical...you only need to splice a few wires.

There isn't anything that is cheap and easy persay, but going the BP route will be worth your time. Port and Polish is expensive to have done and will have minimal to no gains without forced induction, or cams or some other major engine modification. Bolt on exhaust is always a start, but again, minimal gains.
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

do you need a new ecu or will the ecu off of the b6 work for the bp I'm not really looking to make it a racer. i drive it up 5,000 ft mountains fairly frequently and just want to be able to get up with out having to red line it in 4th
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The ECU should work fine. With just swapping a BP into it, you wont be making it a racer...a BP is only 130hp, so thats a 23hp jump from the b6, and is just about where the GS (V6 version) was in power off the production line. You should still keep good gas mileage too with a BP.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Do a search for posts by "Yoda".
There's ALOT of info about4 cyl engines, and B6 in particular.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Cummins will fit right in :wink:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Come to think of it... There IS a diesel Mazda engine that would work w/o too much modification. There's a dude running one in a 323, or Protege with 300 lbs of torque. It's in the forums somewhere. Yoda wrote about it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yoda wrote:I my previous posting I made an error as to the year of 626/ Capella the gear I used were listed for. It should have been a '83 to '86 as this was the 1gen FWD models. For the most part the gear set was used mostly with the 2.0L FE (T) SOHC and all the RF/ RF-T/ RF-TDI diesel engines from the '83 626 and that are still used today in the Mazda 6 in Europe only just that the Diesel have a 3.454 final drive. The reason for the taller gearing with the diesel and even the older 8V SOHC is that make more Torque and low RPM which would chew up the gear in MTX geared for a DOHC, much like when you turbo charge an engine, because of the torque multiplication. A couple years ago I had 2 1/2 of these (post 02/2002) diesel G serie trannies shipped to the office in the bottom of a commercial shipment of used machine parts from Portugal to built myself a H.D. tranny (with spares) so I would have to keep worrying about Syncros and sheared teeth.
As a gas engine the CR is more like 9.5:1. The RF and RF-TDi are still a very common engine in Europe. I've been talking to a guy in France making 310hp at the wheels with a RF-T with the boost cranked up and injecting shots of propane. He's doing low, low 12s 400m runs. What makes him this fast is that he is making over 500ft/lb of torque well under 4500rpm and never has to shift higher that 4 gear. The other advantage of the FE/ RF is that the bore and stroke are equal dimentions so you have a broad flat torque curve and good peak HP numbers. This usually leads to a high hp/L ratio than other engine like the BP, F2, FS, etc.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

well does anybody know of a local place besides a junk yard that i could get a bp from I'm in phoenix AZ?
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

also what all would i have to swap out to run it as a diesel? the ecu, spark plugs to glow plugs, clean out gas tank and change all of those lines anything else? seems like it would be a pretty in depth swap?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I may be completely wrong, but

A desiel engine is completely different than a gas engine. You can't run a gas engine on desiel. No matter how much you make it look like one.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”