Low fuel light on 92 1.6L

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Maddenv1

Low fuel light on 92 1.6L

Post by Maddenv1 »

So i got my first mazda back in june, and every time my low fuel light comes on, it only takes about 9 gallons to fill it up. I looked up the specs on my car, and it says i have a 13.2 gallon tank. In the book from the factory for my car, it says the low fuel light comes on when i have 1.7 gallons left. Anyone else have this problem?
wytbishop

Re: Low fuel light on 92 1.6L

Post by wytbishop »

Does the fuel gauge read accurately? It could be the float isn't floating any more or just a blown switch on the float arm. Either way just go to a JY and grab a fuel pump asssembly from a wreck and that should solve your problem for about $10.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Volones

Post by Volones »

Mine does the same thing. I get around 9.5 - 10+ gallons depending on how long I drive with the low fuel light on. I don't mind as it helps me calculate my mpg more easily. :)
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Maddenv1

Post by Maddenv1 »

Ok, but i have the numbers correct right? It is a 92 1.6L SOHC if that makes a difference. I can deal with it as long as i know that when my low fuel light comes on that i still have about 4 gallons left, which in my car is about 120 miles.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

There is no way the car has a 13.5 gallon tank...its got an 11 gallon tank - 10 gallon w/ 1 gallon reserve...I know this because I've run the car dry before and had to coast to a gas station on fumes...lol.

This was on my RS...if the GS is different (which I doubt) I have not tested that yet.
Maddenv1

Post by Maddenv1 »

Sorry, online manual says it's 13.2 gallons.
Volones

Post by Volones »

Maddev1, the online manual does indeed say 13.2gal, but I've never trusted that. I've used 10.7gal but it scared me to go that far with the low fuel light on. What I've heard is that although the tank does have a 13.2gal total volume, you will not be able to fill it up totally with gasoline, as it needs to have part of that volume available to air when the fuel expands due to high temperatures. I'm not going to throw any numbers or percentages around, but I expect the 11gal would be a much smarter number to use for your calculations. :wink:

Cheers,
Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

When I filled it up with the 11 gallons, the gas wouldn't drain down anymore, so I physically couldn't add more.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I never really thought about this, but now that you've mentioned this I haven't had to fill her up as high as the manual says she is.. and to think i've been plugging 13.2 into my GPS for a while now :lol: .

makes more sense though.. I get to the low fuel light, and go fill up, and i'm not even near 10 gallons

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”