Waiting for drop...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
SmoothMX3

Waiting for drop...

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I've watched ebay, and have'nt seen any coilovers for our car go on there. I don't have the money to pay for some highend suspension stuff, so. I've accepted that my car is going to ride like pure sh*t. Hell, To be honest... I don't think it rides that great now. Which that might be because of my tires maybe. I'm wanting to get springs, but I don't think none of them will give me the drop I want, which is tucking or maybe the fender right above the tires. So, I'm guessing I'm going to have to result to coilovers. Ones that are cheap enough for me are drop zone coilovers, but the website that have them pretty cheap hasnt had none and they are restocking them. it has been saying that for along time now. so what do I do now?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
SmoothMX3

Re: Waiting for drop...

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Anyone got a pic of a 1.8 drop, front and rear?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Found one.. synefex... Do you have some pics of the side view of your car, so I can see exactly what the drop looks like?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

There was a thread out there on products NOT to buy. I myself can tell you NOT to buy DZ coil overs. I put them on my '96 RS. I blew my struts within a year. I did not lower it a crazy ammount either. I was hitting my tow hooks going in and out of the driveway.

Later, I was going over a simple speed bump and my strut pulled right out of the upper strut mount and messed the inside of my wheel well. Since then I've thrown in hp's and eibachs. I'm am telling you flat out, DZ coilovers will give you a very harsh ride and will cost you more in the long run.

Having your wheels tucked is not a good idea in our cars. Don't cheap out. If you cannot afford the mod, you don't do it!
Savin

Post by Savin »

In terms of ride quality, DZ springs weren't too bad, I don't know about the coilovers. The ride wasn't very rough or anything. I live near gary indiana, where roads suck. The only problem I had is the tire wear issue. I never got camber plate to fix it, thus all 4 struts are blown out.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

If I could see some better pics of the 1.8 drop on our cars, I might buy some.
I've always used ebay coilovers on all the cars I had. I want to try springs now. I already know how the coilovers feel because my brother has some. They arent on a mx3, but I got the idea. They didn't feel too bad, and I wouldn't mind them. One of my other friends have DZ springs and his car ride feels pretty good. His springs are on a prelude, and it drops his like 2 inches. Ours is only a 1.8 drop.
Savin

Post by Savin »

My WL has pics of my car with the DZ springs on it. I think it drops 1.8 in front and 1.5 in back? With bigger rims and tires on (15in zx2 rims haha) the fronts sit nice. The back still feels empty.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Worklog?
Of the blue RS?

I've searched alot about the DZ Springs, and everyone says it doesnt drop enough in the back.
This is BS. I'd just rather have a bumpy ride, then feel like Im driving a truck.
Savin

Post by Savin »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Worklog?
Of the blue RS?

I've searched alot about the DZ Springs, and everyone says it doesnt drop enough in the back.
This is BS. I'd just rather have a bumpy ride, then feel like Im driving a truck.
Yes and I prefer purple, lol. It is technically blue though.

It really doesn't drop much in the back, but it beats stock ride height.. :shrug:
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

I had the regular Lowering springs on my car, which rode amazing.. It was something like a 2-3 inch drop i'd assume.. I can send you some pics here in a sec.. I then put my drift kit on my car and had to take the springs off since the sides of the kit lower the car.. (not technically but.. yeah..) I put my eBay coilovers back on and kept the car about as low as it was before.. and for the record.. DZ Coilovers ride like complete and total crap. In comparison to regular lowering springs.. they are terrible.

First pics are of just the regular lowering springs.. which rode AWESOME :)

one more of the lowering springs..

this doesnt help much, but this is what the coilovers look like on the car... Hard to tell about lowering with the kit and all... but ehh...yeah.. no doors...

and after the car was done lol

But for real.. lowering springs are definately the way to go without a kit.. The ride is comparable to stock suspension in terms of not riding like crap lol... Coilovers are a LAST resort imho. my .02
93 MX-3 GS SE -- KLDE Motor, Full Drift Kit w/molded rear/sides. Project Airbags in the near future!
88 Toyota SupraT -- Complete teardown rebuild this winter! MX-3 Took priority in the garage! >:)
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Bro, Even with your springs and coilovers... It sat high, especially in the front.
Love the rattle can job, btw.

Ugh, I don't know what to do. This sucks.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

there is nothing to think about.

It is not smart to put on dz coils. People with experience have told you. If you feel as though you need to learn from your mistakes instead of others' feel free to do what you want.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

That's just the thing. I don't want to.
The other coilovers (ground controls), are too expensive... for me atleast.
Spings, won't lower me enough. So what am I suppose to do?
Savin

Post by Savin »

SmoothMX3 wrote:So what am I suppose to do?
Start hacking away at your stock springs till you get your desired ride height? I must warn you, its not a safe thing to do. :wink:
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

Oh lol.. I should have noted.. The front is jacked up because of my driveway.. ANd it wasnt spray-canned, it's dusty as hell at the moment lol.. It's clean now.. but.. no current undusty pics :P But yeah.. coilovers.. again.. suck. lol
93 MX-3 GS SE -- KLDE Motor, Full Drift Kit w/molded rear/sides. Project Airbags in the near future!
88 Toyota SupraT -- Complete teardown rebuild this winter! MX-3 Took priority in the garage! >:)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”