Interior/Dash Paint

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Gfresh

Interior/Dash Paint

Post by Gfresh »

Hey Everyone,

I finally got all the supplies I need to do some serious interior painting. I drive a 94 GS, so I'm planning on painting the front piece of my dashboard (the one that wraps around the gauges, the instrument cluster, the temperature controls, and down around the radio and shift knob). Well I guess it's two pieces. I also plan on painting the ring around the right air vent, the fabric inserts on the door panels (removing the fabric of course) and the matching panels beside the rear seat.

I have no problem removing the door/rear panels, and getting the fabric off to paint, and I can also get the lower center console piece of trim off.

I was just wondering if there's an easy way to remove the large front face of the dash, or if I have to rip everything out to do it. Any info/pictures would be great!

Thanks.
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Interior/Dash Paint

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Please tell me you are not using paint but vinyl dye.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Paint/Vinyl Paint = TRASH!
Use Dye... It looks like a stock job and its not all shiney.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

more importantly... the 94+ dash is soft, if you ever put any pressure on it, it WILL crack and chip the paint. If anything brushes against it, it WILL scratch.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It looks to me like he's not planning to paint the vinyl. Gfresh, If you're not painting the soft top part, don't worry about the dye. If you are, take heed.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Gfresh

Post by Gfresh »

I am NOT painting the vinyl top parts of the dash, but rather the hard PLASTIC inserts on the front of it. So thank you for giving me absolutely no useful information. I'm not a genius, but even I could tell you that using paint on that soft vinyl would be a bad idea. So now that that's cleared up, if anyone could please tell me how to remove the front part of the dash I would appreciate it!

Thanks.

Again, all I would like to know is how to remove the hard plastic parts of my dash. Please no more dye vs. paint shennanigans.
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

The vents are just pull, I believe. The centre console is a series of screws. Start by removing the ash tray and the arm rest...
You could also look at the shop manual.
Here, I'm so nice I'll do it for you.
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /S-061.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
I sure hope its not super ugly when you're done! Lots of interior paint jobs go awry...
Prep work is everything, I hear.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Gfresh wrote:I am NOT painting the vinyl top parts of the dash, but rather the hard PLASTIC inserts on the front of it. So thank you for giving me absolutely no useful information. I'm not a genius, but even I could tell you that using paint on that soft vinyl would be a bad idea. So now that that's cleared up, if anyone could please tell me how to remove the front part of the dash I would appreciate it!

Thanks.

Again, all I would like to know is how to remove the hard plastic parts of my dash. Please no more dye vs. paint shennanigans.
Alright, We will be sure not to try to help you next time. Thanks for appreciating the help people do try to give you. (sarcastic)

Just for your information... I was not even talking about just for the soft dash. I was talking about for anything you want to paint in your car. More then likely, you'll be using a vinyl paint for the HARD peaices in your interior. I said this before and I'll say this again. It looks like straight up SH*T!!!!!
The dye I am talking about is a spray dye. It's really used for, say if your graphite stock colored interior peices are fading, thats what you use to make it look just like it did when it was new. this dye soaks in and sticks to the surface and material that it's applied to. How do I know it looks like a stock nice color? because I've used it. Everywhere. I've painted everybit of the interior in my zx2, except for the back dash,seats,seatbelts... The dye is a satin look. not a gloss. If you want to have some glossy interior, make sure you go get some gold teeth while your at it. If you want a different sleeker look, but yet that stock feel... get the dye.
Anyways, do what you want... Wait, wasnt it you that asked for our info?

Sorry if I have offended anyone from what I have said, but I don't feel comfortable knowing I just tried to help someone with something that asked for info.. in which I have exp. at. Then not be appreciated for it.

Smooth
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
Savin

Post by Savin »

On the driver's side there are some sort of 'hidden' screws. You'll have to work at those. 2 in all on that side iirc. I think the ring on the passenger side air vent is screwed on. I remember reading that somewhere in an older thread.

Start with removing the plastic over the shifter. there's 2? push lock tab thingies and a screw where the ash tray is. You should just be able to pull it out then.

The piece around the radio and HVAC controls has a few screws in it somewhere. Same with the piece around the gauge cluster. (refer to hidden screws stated above for gauge cluster)

If you take out all the screws, everything should just come out. They all have close to the same size screws, so mixing them up won't be a concern.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

its real easy dude. start by taking off your shift knob. then take out the ashtray (real simple) there is a screw, take that out. now the bottom section of plastic around the shifter boot should just snap out of place nicely. there is a clip back there unclip it. remove lower plastic piece! see the two screws holding the upper plastic piece? you guessed it. undo them. now the second "hump" closest to the passenger on the dash behind there between plastic and dash is another screw. right above the gauge cluster there are 2 more. right below that little rectangle plastic piece pops out. now the tricky two are by your knees on the plastic. right where it comes along and ends for the steering. there are two more screws on either side of the steering column.also just to the bottom left of the powwer mirror switch is another screw in between plastic and dash tucked away nice in there for us. it should all pop out with a bit of play. there is never a time where you should have to force something so if you find yourself doing that then stop because something is wrong.

as for painting it just sand it down with a low grade sand paper and use a plastic paint to your liking. or you could get serious and primer it and take it to body shop and pay them to spray it.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Wow, soo much attitude.

Is someone feeling not so gfresh today?
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

^X2...

Although I was out of line coming back with alittle "rudeness". Sorry to anyone I offended. Back to his original topic.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

SmoothMX3 wrote:^X2...

Although I was out of line coming back with alittle "rudeness". Sorry to anyone I offended. Back to his original topic.
There was nothing wrong with what you said. You try to help someone and they get their panties in knot. Who wouldn't be pissed off.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Back in the day, I converted my old RS's brown interior to black. I used black vinyl paint for the dash and door panels. I used a scuff pad, adhesion promoter, black vinyl paint. After 10 years, it didn't peel. You wouldn't have known it wasn't stock. Now, I didn't use clear coat like other people do. I wanted a stock look, not shiny. I think if you use the same process I used with vinyl paint, you'll be fine.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

SmoothMX3 wrote:^X2...

Sorry to anyone I offended.