HELP!? - Intermittent Engine Stalling During Warm-Up

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mr.mx-3

Re: HELP!? - Intermittent Engine Stalling During Warm-Up

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

ok tried everything suggested except bleeding the cooling system don't have the $$$ to hook it up to the machine any other sugg. on ways of doing this?? ,opened the cap ran it till the thermo. opened no diff. amount still full,squeaz top hose to try to push out air nothing ,let run with cap off nothing, sprayed around tb and hoses with tb cleaner to check for vac. leak and still nothing.Removed wire from IAC slowed the surging but didn't stop it.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

ok I just found out what it was turned out to be the TPS was bad did a test on the tps with a meter and no response at all.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Makes sense to me. Good show.
Cody
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

As far as your cooling system goes. Using my Kung-fu grip I found squeezing the lower rad hose repeatedly seemed to purge the system of any trapped air. Do it with the caps on after filling the system. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I use the force.
Cody
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

well I just got through installing the new tps and it didn't work tried ajusting idle,throttle position,and sensor still no luck.Think I'm just going to have to break down and take it to mazda I'll be sure to remember to bring plenty of lube....

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP....
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Did you folow this;
TPS Adjust (mechanicl)
Engine off.
Detach TPS connector.

Wire Colour & Purpose
P= +5V reference
Y= TPS position signal to ECU
BR= TPS idle switch
BK/DB= sensor ground

Connect ohmeter to 2 bottom pins (BR and BK/DB) and you should get continuity. If not, loosen 2 TPS retaining bolts and rotate until continuity has just barely been achieved. Semi tighten 2 TPS bolts.
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever. This should not break the continuity. If it does break continuity, slightly adjust TPS rotation again to regain the continuity. Insert the gauge in and out a few times to verify.
After confirming continuity with 0.15mm feeler gauge, insert a .020" (.50mm) feeler gauge. This should just barely break continuity but completely. If not re-adjust TPS rotation again. Re-confirm by re-inserting feeler gauge.
In essence, continuity on initial connection to TPS.
Continuity with .15mm gauge inserted.
No continuity with .50mm gauge inserted.
Tighten down TPS retaining bolts.
Re-connect TPS connector.

Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Awesome Dan, thanks! I have to do this when I get outta this joint.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

yep I bought one of the chilton books when at the time I was testing the radaitor and it also said to fallow in that order did so and still no diff.altho I did test the old one as discribed in the book and got nothing it worked at base idle (fully closed)but nowhere else not even fully open.Tried ajusting idle screw,tps,and even the one you're not suppose to move on the throttle yea yea I know I screwed up but I remember how it was set to be honest I think somebody has moved it before because after that it did go back to idleing halfway right but wouldn't take the gas at low rpm took the new on off and took it back to autozone put the old one back on aligned the old marks and same old thing got tired of screwing with it went to bed and the next morning I moved the tps backward went to running right no surgeing but ran at 2000 rpm at idle went to take it to mechanic this morning and what the hell??? almost did perfect seems like the more I let it set the better it's getting weird I know was told by mechanic it was getting too much air said intake pipe was cracked (yea no s--- tell me something I don't already know) and tapeing it up wouldn't work funny the last time I took it to mazda which was about 2 years ago the tech. there told me the same thing and ever since I have had it it's been that way and never had a problem not to mention I've also siliconed it under the duct and elec. tape. Yea I know it's a rigg job I just can't see paying $75.00 for something I might keep on for another year and take off to put on cold air intake.Espically on a motor that's burning oil anyway... Basicly I just want to get it to runing well enough to get me back and forth to work so I don't have to dump a ton of money into my gas hog to do the same.I love my exploder but it loves gas..
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

I know this is a bit off topic but how the hell did you guys get pic.s of your car on here??
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cody
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Thanks hopefully this will work untill I have time to get a better one

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”