Syncros Starting To Go :(

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
ElectricEnergy

Syncros Starting To Go :(

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Well, the past couple years of driving the crap out of my car have evidently started to take its toll. My first and 2nd syncros are getting pretty bad. 1st doesn't concern me that much, but the shift into 2nd at 7000rpm grinds every time if I shift too quickly, and sometimes even just driving normally if I move the shifter too fast. Are there any good products out there that you guys have had experience with for this? I've heard that there are certain additives you can add to your transmission fluid that help. I'm really just looking for a band-aid right now since I don't have a steady income right at the moment. I'll replace the transmission later.

On a relatively unrelated note, I had the front of my car jacked up the other day with the transmission in neutral. If I gave it gas while the motor was running, the front tires would turn slowly. Is that normal?
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Syncros Starting To Go :(

Post by Ryan »

I am completely guessing, but maybe because gears are always mating, the friction between all 5 and their respective shafts is enough to turn the rest of the drivetrain?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I figured it was probably something like that, it seems like it does it less after its been running for about 30 seconds. So once it gets all lubricated there isn't enough friction.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

its not a bandaid but, why not just replace the 1-2 syncronizer and then while everything is out, look it over and get other parts that need to be replaced? probably a lot cheaper than buying a whole new tranny
tom
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know, I had my 3rd gear grind for probably 2 years when i was pushing it hard and shifting around redline, eventually 5th started to do it as well. I thought it was the tranny. One day my slave cylinder failed and replaced it, 3rd and 5th shifted like butter after that, unfortunately I had screwed up 4th trying to get it in gear because I was stopped in the middle lane of a highway in traffic when the slave died.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

You know, it might be good idea just to bleed the clutch. :p

That would be pretty hilarious if that fixed it. I've got so many car projects going on right now, I haven't even had to time to touch my own car. I found out today I'd been driving around on tires that were inflated to like 27psi, and one even lower for like the last week. Normally I have it set to like 35psi. I guess its getting colder out.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Change the fluid and bleed the clutch.

I have 250 thousand miles on my manual trans.. and im now boosted.

No problems .. YET
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Man, I still haven't got around to doing this. Even after a weekend at the drag strip. (where the car performed acceptably. no grinding or missed shifts, but it will still grind if I don't shift perfectly on the street.)

I'm basically posting just to remind myself to set aside some time tomorrow to try and fix a few problems on my own car.

Return to “Transmissions”