Changing the clutch

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
94precidiamx3

Changing the clutch

Post by 94precidiamx3 »

hello, can anyone kindly point me to a step by step procedure on how to lift the tranny out the mx3? I tried the search but it seems like the server is producing errors. I want to figure out the best way of apraoching it before I tear it down to change the clutch (its finished).

For starters if anyone can answer me:

1) Does it drop out from underneth or lift out?

2) what kind of crappy problems will face me, design flaws, whatnot, just generally something that people know doesnt go well in this procedure.

3) any reccomendations or perhaps an online manual for the Mx3?

thanks!
ImageImage
1994 MX3 Precidia, fresh paint and looking to be dropped.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Changing the clutch

Post by Daninski »

Drop the crossmember, undo anything connected to the tranny, support the engine and drop it out the bottom. Oh ya, pull the axles first and don't forget to drain the tranny or you'll have a mess. The shifter linkage can be a bit of a b----, use penatrant on the bolts a day or so before hand. I used a pneumatic chizel to knock the bolts out, worked fairly well. I ordered new bolts and plastic inserts for the linkage, my shifter is real tight now. Give the clutch line a squirt to. If your car has been driven in a salt environment like winter the bolts that hold the intermediate shaft bearing may strip when you remove them (corroson), just drill then out to 7/16 fine thread and install new bolts. The same may be true of the front bolt on your shifter brace bar. Sorry this post is a little messy but I think I've passed along a few good pointers. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
94precidiamx3

Post by 94precidiamx3 »

hey thanks for your responce.

so dropping it is the easiest way? I posted the same question on another fourm and a guy was like pull it out from the top, now I'm like :crying: which way??

Yes it has been winter driven, since it was new..... How long should I expect to be working on it if I have to deal with those problematic areas?
ImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I crawled under and sprayed the linkage bolts down a day before. Spray your clutch line too. Other than that check the Search feature here and see what other info is out there. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
94precidiamx3

Post by 94precidiamx3 »

I tried the search feature, many times, it only throws errors. thanks for the info though. Do you happen to have a link to an online manual for the MX3?
ImageImage
andy

Post by andy »

Its out the bottom, I don't know what someone was smoking but out the
top would be the hard way of doing it.
When taking the clutch lines out. Don't disconnect it, just unbolt everything and lay it aside.
This will avoid the trouble of getting it bled just right after your done.
Make sure you use a clutch alignment tool.
It helps to have two people when lowering and putting back the tranny.
If your taking the axle nuts off, loosen them before lifting the car.
94precidiamx3

Post by 94precidiamx3 »

thanks guys, I should be getting down to doing this soon, the car has been parked for a while waiting for money, so Ill update as i get along.
ImageImage

Return to “Transmissions”