New owner...keys keep breaking

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
hard life

New owner...keys keep breaking

Post by hard life »

Hi I just bought a '95 mx-3 and the keys keep breaking when I am unlocking the doors. the locks freeze alittle so I have to add some more pressure, but the key only goes in half the way(not very strong). Is it like this on all mx-3's or Mazdas in general? I feel the key twisting and it eventually cracks. It seems weired that the whole key doesn't go in the lock like it does in the ignition.<P>Other than that this car rocks, can't wait for the snow to clear.<P>Thanks,<BR>Mike
back alley

Re: New owner...keys keep breaking

Post by back alley »

except for after a carwash(in winter), my locks are smooth and easy to use. try some wd40 in the lock - or graphite, something designed to ease key entry. canadian tire is a good place to start your search.<p>[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: back alley ]
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Canadian Tire has some good strong black-head keys that don't break and you should put some WD40 in the keyhole using the little straw and stick the new kew in there and lock and unlock a few times until it becomes nice and soft. I had the same problem and the wd40 did the job. yah, seems like lots of mazda keys are soft and dont go in all the way. My friend had the same prob with his protoge.
hi
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

If the door locks are frozen when you try to unlock them, try using a lighter to heat the key up and stick it in the lock to thaw it out.
axess

Post by axess »

Just a message to hard life about it being weird that the key doesn't go all the way in the doors, like in the ignition. You're probably a previous GM or Ford owner, they use 2 keys for they cars (at least they used too, not sure about now). So i guess thats why the keys is long and doesn't go in all the way in the doors. <P>One key ;)
Stephane '96 Blaze Red RS
kalynn12

Post by kalynn12 »

Welcome to the club. Here's the trick, get CAA its 70 bucks for a year and it is worth it. One of my keys broke on Christmas day at my aunt's, I don't even want to know the cost it would have been to get a locksmith out. I just wish I could now get the one that broke off in my trunk out. Another tip, car multiple keys and have them everywhere. In this weather (-20 C and 10 F and below) WD40 can't help.<P>PS. Message me and we will talk.
YES this IS my car, NO you can't drive it.<P>Jessica McDowell<BR>1993 MX-3 RS<BR>ICQ:111958082
Deano96GS

Post by Deano96GS »

Hey Hard_life, another WINNIPEGER HERE as well..<BR>msg me via msn or icq<P>msn = hellodean@msn.ca<BR>icq= 58857313<BR>i own a black 96 gs 5 speed
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ya know keyless entry systems run about 50 bucks [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
hard life

Post by hard life »

I used the WD-40 and the locks don't totally freeze up but it still freezes a little. The key slowly bends a little each time and eventually cracks on both sides. The rear lock is pefect, just the drivers door. It is also the coldest time of year as the other 'winter'pegers know. I'll have to ride it out until it gets warmer.<BR>Thanks for your help.<BR>Mike
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

You might try the Technical Service Bulletin. Packing your locks with grease should help. <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/tsb/s021-94.gif" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/tsb/s021-94.gif</A> <P>tk1138
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
fairyangel

Post by fairyangel »

hi. I am from the states and would like to get a set of keys for my 93 mx-3. Does anyone know if I could get some from Canadian Tires via the net? E-mail me or reply....
~ Vrooom! Vrooom! See my tailights flashing...dissin' ya...dissin' ya! R U Ready? ~
fairyangel

Post by fairyangel »

well, i guess not. I tried on their online store and it didn't work. Thanks though. ANyone else know of a place?
~ Vrooom! Vrooom! See my tailights flashing...dissin' ya...dissin' ya! R U Ready? ~
CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

My mother has a 1994 626 and they keys snap like pretzels if the locks are not lubbed regularly
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

just to let you guys know.. i had a key snapped off in my driver side door, i left it there for like 2 months cuz i didnt have the $$ to pay Mazda for new locks.. anyways i just had the drivers lock replaced and recoded.. it cost me $147.01 ... the locks are perfect now, believe me its worth the cash if youve got it
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

..oh ya, and if your locks freeze, and you have some anti-freeze sitting around anywhere, just spray some on the lock with like a windex bottle or something, itll unfreeze those puppies in a jiffy, trust!! :D
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”