Clear Signal Lenses

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Gfresh

Clear Signal Lenses

Post by Gfresh »

Hey guys,

Just ordered some clear turn signal lenses and sidemarkers for the front of my mazda from Corksport. As far as I know, and what I've read, I should just be able to do the sidemarkers by removing the screws and swapping the lenses. However as far as I understand, the turn signal lenses must be heated up, pryed off, and the new ones re-sealed.

2 Questions:

1) What is the common method of doing this, and does it require removal of the housings, an oven, etc, and what do you use to seal it?

2) Is there a way of doing this without removing the housings, i.e. a blowdrier and a flat-head screwdriver, and maybe some clear silicon to reseal.

Thanks guys,
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Clear Signal Lenses

Post by Mooneggs »

I mixed both options...

I used a hairdryer to heat them up, and a flat head to pry the old lenses off... but when I put the lenses back on I just heated them up and used the same tar that was already on there :shrug: if you have orange oem housings you may want to paint them a reflective silver or something while you have the old lenses off....

you may already know this but you can buy the crystal clear complete housings on ebay :shrug: too late I suppose :roll:
Gfresh

Post by Gfresh »

Ok I attempted to heat up and pry off the old orange lenses.... Much easier said than done. I was just wondering if anyone could walk me through the exact procedure, because so far all I've suceeded in doing is mangling the plastic housing, and the lense is no where near out.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

it takes alot of concentrated heat if you are using a hair dryer...
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

go out to canadian tire or something and grab a heat gun, cost me around $20 and is really worth it.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I used my kitchen oven. Try slowly heating it up, if its not easy with an lower temperature. If any plastics get to be soft, cool it down!
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Gfresh

Post by Gfresh »

What about those 4 little tabs? do you just push them through the holes in the housing?

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”