Question about CEL 03 - camshaft sensor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Geoff

Question about CEL 03 - camshaft sensor

Post by Geoff »

Hey everyone,

Firstly, i've been using a ton of the information from this site to great effect, so thank you all for that!
This is my first post, and i need help! :D

I have a 1994 mx-3 gs, and i have been having some weird idleing issues/ weird rpm happenings when im in first/ doesnt feel like it has as much go as it used to.

I finally pulled the codes this morning, and its flashing 03, which is the camshaft position sensor.
Sooo... is there any DIY fix that I can do without replacing the whole disty? I priced one out, and not only is it hard to get one soon in Calgary, but its about 500$. Yikes!

Im not sure if this is relevant, but i've done the HEI mod, without the external coil, and the spark plugs are brand spanking new (heh, trying to fix the problem without knowing what it is... oops)

so if anyone knows of anything that would be helpful, i'd love to hear it! Thanks a bunch

Geoff
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: Question about CEL 03 - camshaft sensor

Post by shameem »

- reset the ECU and see if the code comes back
- When you did the HEI - did you disable the stock ignitor?
- look for a junkyard disty or put up want to buy post ...
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I'm fairly certain it's not just an ecu thing, as my buttometer is definately registering some changes. And it doesnt start terribly well.
But just in case, what's the procedure for resetting the ecu?

And yeah i cut the wire going to the stock ignitor. And taped it out of the way so it couldn't accidentally connect.

Yeah... I'll probably end up at Pick n' Pull looking for one. Is there any way to tell if its a working one without actually hooking one up? Ha that could be a problem.

And i'll post something.

Thanks for the help!
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

When there is a (major) fault code - the ECU goes into "limp home" mode and if you dont clear codes it will stay that way for many start-stop cycles. The procedure for resetting ECU is to disconnect battery negative and press brake pedal for about 30 seconds.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

ok thanks, i'll give it a shot and post the result!

edit: nah, that didn't work. eh, looks like i have to replace the disty.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”