Hey guy's.. long time no see (and quick ?) (adjustable cams?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Hey guy's.. long time no see (and quick ?) (adjustable cams?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

So I have been extremely busy these past few months, and haven't stopped by.. but glad to see the site is running strong!!

Not much is up with my car other then some junk I'll post about (to say what's new), but here is my ?

My car was leaking a ton of oil, and found out my valve cover gasket needs replaced. Since me and my dads friend are going to replace it, he was also curious of my tapping valves (that started tapping around the same time as the oil leak).

So, he asked me if the cams were adjustable, which i'm not sure of, and is what im asking you all!!

So yeah, that's the ? haha.. thanks guys!!
onlytrueromeo

Re: Hey guy's.. long time no see (and quick ?) (adjustable cams?

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If you have a stock car...the cams are not adjustable...

Ticking is most likely the HLA's...just take them out, and squish them with new oil. If you do a search you'll find a more detailed explanation.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:If you have a stock car...the cams are not adjustable...

Ticking is most likely the HLA's...just take them out, and squish them with new oil. If you do a search you'll find a more detailed explanation.
Thanks!! Will do that :D
npspears

Post by npspears »

Check out this post from a related site. You can actually clean your HLA's and make them like new!

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... =HLA+clean
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

npspears wrote:Check out this post from a related site. You can actually clean your HLA's and make them like new!

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... =HLA+clean
that really intimidates me :shock:
npspears

Post by npspears »

Well, if you've never taken off a timing belt before, it will. It will save you A LOT of money though. New HLA's will cost about $250.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

npspears wrote:Well, if you've never taken off a timing belt before, it will. It will save you A LOT of money though. New HLA's will cost about $250.
Yeah I haven't taken off a timing belt :oops:

The only things mechanical that I have done are brakes, swapping to a cold air intake, swapping VAF and throttle body... and that's it

I am really needing to do this, but I have a few ?'s:

1. How much time do you think this will take? If I do it, I'll do it on the weekend so it's not a major problem (with time), but i am curious.

2. What is needed to take the Timing belt off and put it back on?

3. I'm assuming I will need a new valve cover gasket, but am wanting to confirm this.

4 Anything else I should know?

Sorry for all the ?'s but haha yeah.. i'm just intimidated at the moment :oops:

edit2:

that's for the DOHC.. is the SOHC much different?
npspears

Post by npspears »

well I'm no mechanic, but I have done a rebuild.

1. With the right tools you should be able to finish in a weekend.

2. Taking the timing belt off - really all you have to do is release tension on the tensioner than you will be able to slip off the belt, but to get to the tensioner you will have to remove the timing belt cover which I think involves taking off the crank bolt and the accessory belts. Once you do that you can take off the cover. There are many ways to take off a crank bolt. You will probably either need a breaker bar or impact wrench.
The rest is removing the valve cover and removing the camshafts.

3. You will need a new valve cover gasket

4. It is not too complicated. I would look at the online manual. It is really helpful or I would get the Chilton book. You will want a torque wrench and probably some pliers to take out the HLA's. Hardest parts will be the crank bolt probably. Make sure you mark with an arrow which way the timing belt was rotating and be careful around the tensioner and the idler.

If you get stuck you know where to ask for help

:D
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

npspears wrote:well I'm no mechanic, but I have done a rebuild.

1. With the right tools you should be able to finish in a weekend.

2. Taking the timing belt off - really all you have to do is release tension on the tensioner than you will be able to slip off the belt, but to get to the tensioner you will have to remove the timing belt cover which I think involves taking off the crank bolt and the accessory belts. Once you do that you can take off the cover. There are many ways to take off a crank bolt. You will probably either need a breaker bar or impact wrench.
The rest is removing the valve cover and removing the camshafts.

3. You will need a new valve cover gasket

4. It is not too complicated. I would look at the online manual. It is really helpful or I would get the Chilton book. You will want a torque wrench and probably some pliers to take out the HLA's. Hardest parts will be the crank bolt probably. Make sure you mark with an arrow which way the timing belt was rotating and be careful around the tensioner and the idler.

If you get stuck you know where to ask for help

:D
Thanks!

I just talked to Trevo as well.. he answered a lot of the ?'s i was gonna bug you all with hehe.

I know with the V6's you have to take off like.. a lot of crap to get the timing belts... is this true with us 4cyl guys?
Volones

Post by Volones »

Not a lot, but it can be annoying getting it all off.

You will need to...
-loosen the tension on the power steering/air conditioning belt (4-5 bolts need loosening on the water pump for a '95, '92-'93 may be different, ymmv), then remove the ps/ac belt
-loosen the water pump pulley bolts (but do not take them out yet!)
-loosen the tension on the alternator belt and remove it
-remove the water pump pulley bolts and pulley
-remove the valve cover
-remove the top timing belt cover
-remove the middle timing belt cover (be careful with the dipstick)
-unhook the timing belt tensioner spring
-remove the tensioner bolt and take out the tensioner

You will need a 21mm socket with a long extension (roughly 2ft or so) so you can turn the engine to gain access to all the bolts and nuts that you have to loosen to release the tension on the power steering belt, remember to set your parking brake and put the car in neutral for this. Also turn the wheel all the way to the right so you can get the socket to line up and there is a small cover/plug in the passenger wheel well that you will need to take off to get the socket onto the crankshaft bolt. Again, this is for a '95, and may not apply (I find it to be the most annoying part of this whole process).

Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Thanks!!!

It's for the '92 Auto

I'll check the car in a sec to make sure i know where the bolts are located and everything is.

I have a lot of projects i'm doing to this soo hehe.. i'm gonna be busy it seems :mrgreen:
npspears

Post by npspears »

well, the 92 is the SOHC engine. I think everybody has been posting about the DOHC engine. The SOHC isn't too much different and will probably be a little less complicated. I'm not even sure the SOHC has HLAs. Someone fill me in on this.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”