Engine knocking?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

Re: Engine knocking?

Post by 94mx3precidia »

I think it's the timing belt tensioner. When mine went my car sounded like a diesel. i took it as an excuse to swap to a ze.

I took the tensioner out and i could compress the tensioner with my fingers with no effort at all.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Oi Mikitu

To pull the codes you got to open Diag Box (under the wood, top right), put a paper-clip on GND and TEN and a LED (light diode) between FEN and B+.
Then turn the key to ON and count the flashes.
To make sure you are in Diag Mode, pull a little bit the acelerator cable and Radiator Fan should turn on.

About the noise I'm almost sure it's the tensioner because it only comes from near the belt cover, while, HLA's come from all the rear bank. And also because I had the same noise on my car before the replacement of the belt.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Mikitu

Post by Mikitu »

MX3ak wrote:Oi Mikitu

To pull the codes you got to open Diag Box (under the wood, top right), put a paper-clip on GND and TEN and a LED (light diode) between FEN and B+.
Then turn the key to ON and count the flashes.
To make sure you are in Diag Mode, pull a little bit the acelerator cable and Radiator Fan should turn on.

About the noise I'm almost sure it's the tensioner because it only comes from near the belt cover, while, HLA's come from all the rear bank. And also because I had the same noise on my car before the replacement of the belt.
The led between the FEN and B+ gives you the CEL flashes? Awesome didn't know, tks.
Btw to change timming belt, tensioner, water pump we're talking of how many € in our country?
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

The budget from Mazda was 1032€ when I asked it in 2005.

Then, during 2 years I learned how to do it reading here and there, and did it my self in one weekend.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I can most likely be your lifters !! it happens a lot when there is a lot of milagee
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

is the car running good now ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

MX3ak wrote:To me, it sound like an old tensioner going bad.

Loose timming belt is tapping against the cover.
I had the same thing happen to me, new belt new tensioner, no more ticking.
I believe the 2L will not bolt up to our tranny. PM Nd4spdSE I think he knows about 2L compatability.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Turn your key to the accessory position, but don't start the car. You should see the CEL come on somewhere. If it doesn't, you've got a problem :|
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”