hi buyin mx3 tomorrow 1st car need advice asap or by 11am th

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
noluv

hi buyin mx3 tomorrow 1st car need advice asap or by 11am th

Post by noluv »

Hi,
every one,
passed test last week and been let down loads but guess what "patience worked out best".
i got a k plate,1 owner from new full service history,full mot 100,000 on clock.
only bad thing is out of tax saturday.

ok i need to know what to look out for asap,i know smoking and noisey tappets and check manky oil but need to know any thin asap.
apparently its been just minor surfess rust and it sailed threw its mot,fresh mot i may add.
please be so kind and post asap.
many many thanks
noluv

Re: hi buyin mx3 tomorrow 1st car need advice asap or by 11am th

Post by noluv »

its the v6 1.8 sorry
noluv

Post by noluv »

7 views,no replies.
nice
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

The main thing I can think of is idle isses. These are all correctable, and if you read on here, you can find, diagnose, and repair any problem....

except broken window switches.

No matter what, I'll tell you to buy this thing. Its so much fun to drive, and the community here is best one I've ever found on the internet :) lots of helping, lots of people who seem like they built the car themselves *cough*shameem

and plus, if oyu've got an extra ~1200 to throw at your car, you can have the fastest N/A car in town, guaranteed :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
noluv

Post by noluv »

Ryan wrote:The main thing I can think of is idle isses. These are all correctable, and if you read on here, you can find, diagnose, and repair any problem....

except broken window switches.

No matter what, I'll tell you to buy this thing. Its so much fun to drive, and the community here is best one I've ever found on the internet :) lots of helping, lots of people who seem like they built the car themselves *cough*shameem

and plus, if oyu've got an extra ~1200 to throw at your car, you can have the fastest N/A car in town, guaranteed :)

Thanks for reply,
it 12 at night here,so im gettin in bath and bed ready to go get my car in morning :D .
will check here for replies before i leave.
i know,ive left it a bit late so as many quick replies as poss would be appreciated.
i guess as long as its not smoking,knocking or tappeting its not a real problem but ive been to a few now and been lucky to go garage for check before buying,this one i dont have that option.
thanks again for replys and i will be a regular poster as soons i get it home :D .
atb
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Wow, no idea what you are talking about.
:shock:
Savin

Post by Savin »

noluv wrote:7 views,no replies.
nice
That's not the way to get answers, lol.
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Wow, no idea what you are talking about.
I'm in the same boat. It's cool if English isn't your native language. We have many here from around the world. Even though english might not be their language of choice, they try their hardest to make coherrant (sp?) sentences.

If english is your usual language of choice, then at least make understandable sentences. Not one's where we have to sit and think for a bit.

Now for advice:
Disties are known for going out, don't be surprised if it craps out on you.
As Ryan said, idle issues. The intake tubes have cracking issues. SEARCH more about that.
HLA's tapping, but I think that's normal...
You can expect some smoke since the car is old. Valve seals wear...
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
noluv

Post by noluv »

Savin wrote:
noluv wrote:7 views,no replies.
nice
That's not the way to get answers, lol.
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Wow, no idea what you are talking about.
I'm in the same boat. It's cool if English isn't your native language. We have many here from around the world. Even though english might not be their language of choice, they try their hardest to make coherrant (sp?) sentences.

If english is your usual language of choice, then at least make understandable sentences. Not one's where we have to sit and think for a bit.

Now for advice:
As Ryan said, idle issues. The intake tubes have cracking issues. SEARCH more about that.
You can expect some smoke since the car is old. Valve seals wear...
funny that as it seems you understood exactly what i said?

Now for advice:
You can expect some smoke since the car is old. Valve seals wear...[/quote

or am i missing some thing,im english live in uk and know no other language.
thank you for replies,bought car now and its got minor rust so now i would like to know same question.
what do i need to check and look out for?
thank you
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Scrap that engine and buy the JDM KLZE. Done deal. Get the right ECU and scrap the EGR. Nice intake, HEI mod, and you'll have no problems.

I'm half joking.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Check the brakes. Particularly the rears. The calipers tend to sieze because nobody ever does any maintenance on them. I have had to replace the rear calipers on both of my GS's in the first week.

As soon as you can afford it, unless it's been done in the past few years, get new plugs and wires. Its not too much money and if you do have ignition related issues later (the distributor sucks) it will be easier to diagnose if you know that the cheap stuff is new. Even if it still works, it is worth your while to do the HEI mod and eliminate the interanl igniter and coil of the Mitsubishi distributor.

The K8 is a notorious oil burner. I had a very strong running K8 that burned a litre every 500km. If you have bad ticking either the oil is getting low or the Hydraulic Lifter Assemblies (HLA's) are jammed up with gunk. You may have to do several power flushes to get them clean. This may also increase the amount of oil you burn, so take that into consideration.

Removing the stock air intake and filter housing will also eliminate a common problem with the accordian intake tube cracking...and it'll make the car sound better too. It will not however make the car more powerful or faster.

There. That'll keep you going for a while. The search tool can be used to find any information you may need on any of these topics.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Savin

Post by Savin »

To think, I actually took the time to figure out what the guy was saying. I didn't have to help, but I did anyway...

I believe I have made my first enemy on these boards... :|
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I was feeling generous this morning. Always try to temper your admonishment with encouragement.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
noluv

Post by noluv »

wytbishop wrote:Check the brakes. Particularly the rears. The calipers tend to sieze because nobody ever does any maintenance on them. I have had to replace the rear calipers on both of my GS's in the first week.

As soon as you can afford it, unless it's been done in the past few years, get new plugs and wires. Its not too much money and if you do have ignition related issues later (the distributor sucks) it will be easier to diagnose if you know that the cheap stuff is new. Even if it still works, it is worth your while to do the HEI mod and eliminate the interanl igniter and coil of the Mitsubishi distributor.

The K8 is a notorious oil burner. I had a very strong running K8 that burned a litre every 500km. If you have bad ticking either the oil is getting low or the Hydraulic Lifter Assemblies (HLA's) are jammed up with gunk. You may have to do several power flushes to get them clean. This may also increase the amount of oil you burn, so take that into consideration.

Removing the stock air intake and filter housing will also eliminate a common problem with the accordian intake tube cracking...and it'll make the car sound better too. It will not however make the car more powerful or faster.

There. That'll keep you going for a while. The search tool can be used to find any information you may need on any of these topics.

thanks,
last post "no enemies mate" we all have some thing in common "mx3s" :D i said thank you to for advise :D thanks again :D
reply to quote,thank you very much for your time.
no noise from engine,new ditributor fitted on 3rd of march 2007 and grease round,check gear box,battery,change enine oil,fit 6 spark plugs,remove all wheel and check brakes,disks,pads,check all lights,wipers,washers and take for mot-filter and 8 points of oil and 6plugs ftted a long with distributor and clutch, it last had every thing listed done apart from clutch and distributor on 23/08/20007 so nearly a year.
reckon i should do them?also how hards cam belt to do as i dont see any thing saying its been done?

engine is smooth with no noises,picks up speed in every gear,have to press brakes to the floor to stop.
where you put petrol in has white scabby stuff and round the door locks,both rear wings got a bit or rust and passanger by where the window is has a little,theres a crease in passenger door so im thinking of replacing the door,then getting my pal to sort rust and respray.

what you think i should do from reading what ive write?
thank a lot,
really appreciate it
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If the accessory drive belts look old or cracked replace them. Pretty easy job and can't hurt. Use Mazda belts. Trust me. Aftermarket belts tend to squeal on these cars. No body knows why.

If all that's been done you're in better shape than most who pick up their cars privately. Drive it for a while and check the oil regularly for the first couple of months. If anything needs attention it'll show itself pretty quickly.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
noluv

Post by noluv »

wytbishop wrote:If the accessory drive belts look old or cracked replace them. Pretty easy job and can't hurt. Use Mazda belts. Trust me. Aftermarket belts tend to squeal on these cars. No body knows why.

If all that's been done you're in better shape than most who pick up their cars privately. Drive it for a while and check the oil regularly for the first couple of months. If anything needs attention it'll show itself pretty quickly.

thanks,
i had a look threw all the service history last nigh and its had cambelt done 5000 miles a go,how many more before it will need replacing again?
well i think i got a bargain for £500 "$1000" but it runs out of tax tomorrow :| :( dont know how long insurence certificate will take to come threw o i can tax it,so will be sitting for a bit.
engine oils fine and water,
ive noticed a slight noise when i lock the wheels one way hen i go to drive,or shall i say i can feel some thing "any ideas??
thanks again for replys

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”