RS going through radiator fluid.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jrors
Supporting Member

RS going through radiator fluid.

Post by jrors »

Hi guys. I did a search on this, and couldn't find too much in the way of solving a issue I am having. I took my car to my mechanic about 4 months ago, to replace my timing belt, thermostat, both radiator hoses, both belts, timing belt and water pump. Well the car runs good as usual in my 1993 RS automatic, but I noticed that once every 2 months, I have to refill the antifreeze reserve tank. My car isn't leaking antifreeze fluid, it is not over heating and there are no clouds of smoke coming from my exhaust, nor is my engine oil fluid a odd color. Everything appears to be in order, so I am very uncertain to why my RS is doing this. Before I had all this parts replaced, I wasn't having this issue at all...... so do any of you guys know what is going on?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
nightridergsr

Re: RS going through radiator fluid.

Post by nightridergsr »

Maybe a small, slow leak that isnt noticable? I had similar issue with my GS. Water pump ended up going out. Had it replaced, and still had problems with it overheating, and had to watch coolant lvl constantly. Ended up with blown head gasket anyway. I did drive the car hard though ;; but yeah I always kinda wondered where my antifreeze would go to as well.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Thanks for the reply......... but even though my RS does not overheat... and I have a new pump, and I don't go tough on the engine... I still cannot think of what it can be....
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

check out the coolant caps..

there are two, one on top of the radiator and one on the fillerhose above the timingbelts

i had a problem with the one on top of the hose wich leaked small amounts of fluid..

when you went for a drive pop the hood and check for abnormalities as the pressure is a lot higher when the coolant is at operating temperature
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Thanks for the reply turbulence23. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”