OEM Sideskirts

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

Re: OEM Sideskirts

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MCNano117 wrote:Kick those wings off, it's a FWD car!!!
xxwhiteboyjim22xx wrote:Thats your opinion.. :roll:
Exactly, and an uneducated opinion at that... :freak:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

I thought this was America!

Educate me on the purpose of a wing on a FWD car. To put weight on the back wheels for HANDLING? Lmfao
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

Theirs no purpose...Its just for style, apperiently your a little new at the whole car thing huh?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Dali wrote:my reserve for these on ebay
were 360something.
good thing I didn't want them... lol I figured I should let somebody else get some goodies for once... 8)
Savin

Post by Savin »

xxwhiteboyjim22xx wrote:Theirs no purpose...Its just for style, apperiently your a little new at the whole car thing huh?
Actually, there is a purpose for a wing on front wheel drive. It might've been fowljesse or someone who said it, but its only use is for drag racing. Seeing how the back end of FWD cars are light, the extra downforce keeps the rear planted to the ground.

If a wing is on a car just for the hell of it, then it needs to go, it serves no use.
As for those style wings on the mx-3, they look alright, it doesn't help the car really, aside from appearence.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

xxwhiteboyjim22xx wrote:Theirs no purpose...Its just for style, apperiently your a little new at the whole car thing huh?

Yeah I must be new, since I'm not slowing my car down with a ricey wing. The stock wings are stylish, anything beyond that looks wrong, and I bet they're mounted wrong.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Hey MCNano117, be careful about blasting on people for the way they have their cars put together on this site. The pics that you saw of the MXs' I believe you are refering to, belong or belonged to guys that have spents thousands of dollars on their setups. And a further note to you is that, if you need some serious help with issues with your MX, or have important general questions about your MX, or things related to it..... you'll find that some on here that can help, might not, because you'll have a rep of flaming guys on here.

We're all happy that you're a member to our family of MX'ers here... but please respect the others guys setups here, as we will do yours.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

If you scroll up you'll see that I made an obvious joke, I didn't attack anyone, and then I was flamed. I have respect for them and their cars but I'm not going to agree with everyone on what looks good or improves performance. Then when they blow it out of porportion and insult me I'm not going to roll over. I know I'll need help with my MX in the future and I don't want to be seen as a flamer but cmon, how can you call me the flamer when you read their responses? I'm grateful that you're looking out for me and I'm proud to own an MX3, but I don't feel I'm in the wrong here.
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

I call truce. I dont want to fill up this guys thread with anymore nonsense.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I actually forgot about this thread, but it's late so I'll make it quick...

Wing for drag racing, eh? Funny how where'd you need the most traction at launch, but at launch there's 0 downforce when your not moving, so it doesn't too help too much there, huh? They ould have their uses on drag races, but you have to be making ALOT of power and would need to go pretty fast to need the help of air to push down on the rear wheels and give you traction.

Wings are for stability and downforce, they have their uses on FWD, AWD and RWD cars. Factory vehicles don't requires wings on the rear for stability since FWD will pretty much understeer off the assembly line, AWD and RWD normally have understeer characteristics as well since it's easier for drivers to manage rather than oversteer.

When your dealing with a track with corners, and a properly setup car will do whatever they setup the car to do. Understeer, oversteer or be neutral. FWD can oversteer as well, especially if the rear end is light. With our cars, being FWD, most of the weight is up front. Do some weight reduction mods, especially like removing the spare, rear seats and replacing the hatch glass with lighter material like Lexan, and that rear will want to come loose easier. The last thing you want to do is add weight. A rear that's loose would make it easier for cornering, especially on slower tight corners where you can flick the back around quicker, but on the longer high-speed corners you want the car to stay planted to the road as best as possible, this is where a rear wing can help greatly. But unless your car is setup for racing and not just some kid with a Neon that went to their local aftermarket parts store and picked up a wing, for him, ya, it'll do pretty much nothing but maybe look cool, maybe.

Same basics apply to RWD, the wing isn't FOR traction, but to keep the rear stable since it'll be prone to oversteer. Sure the extra downforce will help push the rear wheels on the ground for better traction so you can give it a bit more power, which will give you faster cornering speeds, thus faster times. But even if you don't have a RWD car that'll break the tires loose at full throttle at 100mph, you can still have the rear want to slide out on you in whatever circumstances. That's where the rear wing helps, not in traction, but stability.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
redmxlookin4turbo

Post by redmxlookin4turbo »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I actually forgot about this thread, but it's late so I'll make it quick...

Wing for drag racing, eh? Funny how where'd you need the most traction at launch, but at launch there's 0 downforce when your not moving, so it doesn't too help too much there, huh? They ould have their uses on drag races, but you have to be making ALOT of power and would need to go pretty fast to need the help of air to push down on the rear wheels and give you traction.

Wings are for stability and downforce, they have their uses on FWD, AWD and RWD cars. Factory vehicles don't requires wings on the rear for stability since FWD will pretty much understeer off the assembly line, AWD and RWD normally have understeer characteristics as well since it's easier for drivers to manage rather than oversteer.

When your dealing with a track with corners, and a properly setup car will do whatever they setup the car to do. Understeer, oversteer or be neutral. FWD can oversteer as well, especially if the rear end is light. With our cars, being FWD, most of the weight is up front. Do some weight reduction mods, especially like removing the spare, rear seats and replacing the hatch glass with lighter material like Lexan, and that rear will want to come loose easier. The last thing you want to do is add weight. A rear that's loose would make it easier for cornering, especially on slower tight corners where you can flick the back around quicker, but on the longer high-speed corners you want the car to stay planted to the road as best as possible, this is where a rear wing can help greatly. But unless your car is setup for racing and not just some kid with a Neon that went to their local aftermarket parts store and picked up a wing, for him, ya, it'll do pretty much nothing but maybe look cool, maybe.

Same basics apply to RWD, the wing isn't FOR traction, but to keep the rear stable since it'll be prone to oversteer. Sure the extra downforce will help push the rear wheels on the ground for better traction so you can give it a bit more power, which will give you faster cornering speeds, thus faster times. But even if you don't have a RWD car that'll break the tires loose at full throttle at 100mph, you can still have the rear want to slide out on you in whatever circumstances. That's where the rear wing helps, not in traction, but stability.
and thats why fwd cars have front spoiler (for you that dont know a front spoiler would be the lip kit off the gs or your after market splitters) to keep the traction on the wheels producing the power any spoiler on a fwd car serves really know purpose other than it looks good....
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually according to fowljesse, the lip actually reduces drag on our Mx-3's, making it more aerodynamic
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

I doubt it, it probably creats more drag, it's just for looks.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MCNano117 wrote:I doubt it, it probably creates more drag, it's just for looks.
fowljesse wrote: To clarify: The lip spoiler actually reduces drag by a coefficient of about .2,
I'd trust fowljesse's actually has statistical proof that it does rather than your guess, i'd go with Jesse's information.
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

Putting more surface area on the front of the car reduces drag? Ok let's go get some stickers and slap em' on to help air slide over the car faster too.

Return to “Appearance”