ZE RUNS LIKE crap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
misfitsfiend

ZE RUNS LIKE crap

Post by misfitsfiend »

engine revs really really low and kinda jumps like its not a smooth sounding engine,
and shifting gears is a ----- when im actually driving it, also there seems to be a smell of plastic
its a klze with a k8IM my stupid mechanic couldnt figure out how to do a straight neck IM when i explaned it to him sorta...
has k8 ECU
and a KLZE 5speed tranny that i picked up from some jdm shop

everything seemed ok before it was all put together in my opinion and the opinion of my mechanic.

does anyone have any idea about what can be wrong with it? any suggestions would be appreciated
WhiteFinish

Re: ZE RUNS LIKE s---!

Post by WhiteFinish »

Get the ecu chipped or buy a kl31/36

Your car will run a lot better, than buy a decent manifold or but your straightneck on.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You should also adjust the TPS
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
misfitsfiend

Post by misfitsfiend »

whats the tps?
Savin

Post by Savin »

TPS=Throttle Position(ing) Sensor. Its on the throttle body.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

misfitsfiend wrote:whats the tps?
This dude
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701143892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should also check your hoses. It wouldnt hurt to change the fuel filter.

But really though. K8 ECU and a K8 Manifold. Thats not good at all (mostly the ECU).
Go to Probetalk.com and look up Probinator chip.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Wire Colour & Purpose
P= +5V reference
Y= TPS position signal to ECU
BR= TPS idle switch
BK/DB= sensor ground

Connect ohmeter to 2 bottom pins (BR and BK/DB) and you should get continuity. If not, loosen 2 TPS retaining bolts and rotate until continuity has just barely been achieved. Semi tighten 2 TPS bolts.
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever. This should not break the continuity. If it does break continuity, slightly adjust TPS rotation again to regain the continuity. Insert the gauge in and out a few times to verify. After confirming continuity with 0.15mm feeler gauge, insert a .020" (.50mm) feeler gauge. This should just barely break continuity but completely. If not re-adjust TPS rotation again. Re-confirm by re-insrting feeler gauge.
In essence, continuity on initial connection to TPS.
Continuity with .15mm gauge inserted.
No continuity with .50mm gauge inserted.
Tighten down TPS retaining bolts.
Re-connect TPS connector.

It should take you at least 1/2 an hour to do this, MINIMUM.

The smell of plastic could be your O2 sensor wires contacting the exhaust manifold, if so get ready to buy a new O2 sensor. What year MX-3 are you driving?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
misfitsfiend

Post by misfitsfiend »

im driving a 92'
i figured it couldve been the k8 manifold my mechanic just cant figure out the straight neck... ive seen ppl do it on the mx-3 and i would love to trade off for a curve neck but dont know if anyone would trade in toronto
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

misfitsfiend wrote:im driving a 92'
i figured it couldve been the k8 manifold my mechanic just cant figure out the straight neck... ive seen ppl do it on the mx-3 and i would love to trade off for a curve neck but dont know if anyone would trade in toronto
The straight neck can be done on a MX3 but you need to do extra work and be creative.

A K8 ECU on a KLZE is no good.
Im sure a K8 I/M on a KLZE will restrict performance. But a K8 ECU on a KLZE will affect your fuel
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
misfitsfiend

Post by misfitsfiend »

thing is its misfiring and soudns like s---.... and i was curious if that was cuz of the ecu and k8 manifold thing... or another problem
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Overclock has a ZE IM for sale and make sure both your fuel rails are plugged in. I missed one of mine and it ran like crap till I noticed I pluged my O2 monitor into my fuel rail, D-uh.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

go to probetalk and see if you can get a trade since they have no problems with straight necks. or just flip it on ebay. i think i sold my straight neck for more than i paid for the curve neck one
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Just in case, did you swap over the klze injectors (or entire ZE fuel rail assembly) to the k8 IM?

My klze ran ok with k8 ECU, reasonably smooth at least after a warm up, though notably better after the probinator chip :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
coltfoet5

Re: ZE RUNS LIKE crap

Post by coltfoet5 »

The K8 manifold is killing your hp but that shouldn't be causing all the problems. It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check your break booster and power steering vac lines then go through and check the rest of them. Did you put new IM gaskets on with the swap? If not, you should because the ports are square now.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”