Distributor KL01 - problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Steve_SK

Distributor KL01 - problem

Post by Steve_SK »

My distributor's gone.. Doesn't work anymore, the car smokes and shakes like crazy. My question is.. Since I rebuilt the engine it was taking more and more engine oil, compression test is OK, but here's my question:

Could misfiring cause oil consumption? I mean if there was unburnt fuel left in combustion chamber, it could easily "eat" oil film from cylinder walls and burn with the fuel or burn in the exhaust..

My disty is TOT57071 A1 KL01, I've heard it was the first "edition" with failing ignition module, I've found replacement set with modified ingition module on fordprobestore.co.uk, hope it would work for me. :(

Anyway, I would like to know your opinions on my question, please. Thank you.

PS: I've also noticed something like "deep scratches" on plugs (porcelane parts) where ingition cables are connected.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Distributor KL01 - problem

Post by Daninski »

I installed new plugs and one was bad. ECU reported misfiring so upon inspection I found one with funny looking lines on the porcelane part where it meets the metal body. Replaced the plug, no more misfire. Can you smell fuel in your exhaust? If you Google misfire there's lots of good web sites that explain what can cause and how to correct misfire.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Yes I can feel smell of the fuel, but only sometimes.. Sometimes it is good, engine runs smoothly and sometimes it is really bad, rough idle, poor acceleration.. Now it is all the same, poor. I have new cables, new NGK spark plugs from Mazda (they have 1000 km)..
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

ok in my opinion there mught have been something you missed when you were putting the engine back in, so re-check all the wires. Sound to me maybe a broken O2 sensor, os a vacumm leak. cuz it shouldn't work one time but not the other, o2 sensors can work when he car is cold but when they warm up they may not.

SO I would check all the wires, (specially look where the VAF/MAF is connected and recheck the connection) use the WD-40 trick for vaccum leacks.
Good luck.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

I rechecked everything 4 times. :( No dead connections, but I haven't checked for the vacuum leaks.. What should I check and where? When I slightly press gas pedal, I can hear "wsssss" sound from somewhere, I couldn't locate it.
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

the "wsssss" sound is from ur maf/vaf (whatever it is) the thing on ur intake that allows air in for a proper air/fuel mixture. Check the Vaf/Maf following the manual... You only need the voltmeter to check it. now that the wssss sound came into place make sure your air/fuel mixtures are ok..... and try tunning the idle screw up on top of throttle body. I would check those things...

did u check ur timing with a timing light????
does ur dustributor have the little wire with the wierd cylinder at the end????
If u could get a new distributor from a friend or something replace it and see if it will stop.... Distributor is 1st thing a would try.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”