15 psi KLZE

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
OutlaW

15 psi KLZE

Post by OutlaW »

guys, help me out on this ...
i found a place that can sell me the KL engine ... but i miss having a Turbo car
since the KLDE is a strong engine that can stand an average turbo attached to it , what do i need to do ... in order to make a KLZE stand ... 14.5 psi / 15 psi without breaking up ?
Better yet, will a DE stand this PSI without breaking ?
And what does a ZE need to take it ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
ElectricEnergy

Re: 15 psi KLZE

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Money, lots of money.

I actually don't have any experience at all with planning a turbo ZE, so it might be better to wait for someone who knows what they are talking about. I have however seen kits on the internet for connecting rods and pistons, and if I remember correctly they were rated to around 900hp. I know that our crank can handle some obscenely high amount of power. So I guess the rest of the work would just be performance valves, springs and retainers. After all that, what is really left to break? But if you think about it that way. After all the work involved, you could have started with a less expensive DE and have the exact same engine in the end. (minus the cams I guess).

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

15 psi is a decent amount for both DE and ZE. The ZE has better flow and IMO is a better start point if you wanna rebuild everything anyway. 1000 on rebuild (at least), 250 on MS, 500-800 for turbo, 300 for piping (maybe?) 300 for intercooler, 500 various nuts and bots and whatnot, 300 clutch, 500 axles, 300 wideband

I'd say 5000 for a fully functional 15psi ZE, with lots of good stuff. Closer to 6k if you want to do anything to the tranny (I would put an LSD in for sure.) And price going up if you to replace other stuff while you're at it (like engine mounts, balljoints, etc.

I just spend like 3k+ on my car for a regular ZE swap, but I replaced lots of stuff in the engine bay and the front end, and included a full ground control and ZX2 setup, mounts, etc.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

would the HP performance kit be good enough for this?
http://importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-ford.html
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

the guys at imp are douche bags..i wont go there. unless youve got tons of money to turbo the ze properly i would not recommend it. lots of guys are around 5-8lbs of boost from a stock ze with a small turbo set up and run fine, others are running more on a stock ze and have had no problems. now mine would not have handled it since it was not the greatest from the start. my set up has cost me 800 diamond pistons, 600 beefed up con rods, 3600 turbo setup, 350 ceramic coating, 450 gauges, 450 race cams, 1000 ferrrea springs etc, 600 valves, 350 gaskets, 350 spec3 axels, 2500 motor machine work, 150 modded fuel rail, 350 injectors, 275 ms, 150 laptop and the list is still going and im not even done yet...if im lucky i will have it up and running next summer. thats motor and nothing else like the tranny, 1300 lsd, new syncros, rebuild tranny, mounts etc.
1993 White gs klze.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

shaodome got 351whp at 15+psi on a stock ZE. It really all comes down to tuning, and shaodome is like the god of megasquirt.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I wouldn't trust a stock ZE @ 15psi. Then again, I'm all about daily driving and reliability. If you can afford to try it, why not? Then you can always rebuild the engine after.
slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

but if u build it theres a guy on PT thats running 22psi out his KL and pulling on 11 sec evo's
93 mx-3, hybrid de/ze-turbo P&P'd ZE heads,9.2:1 CR,garrett t3 57trim .60/.63,HKS SSQV bov, turbo xs 38mmW/G,24in downpipe,sts,13lbfw,sleeper FMIC,65mm TB,Walbro 255lph FP,F&R strut bars, ngk plugs/wires
p/s,a/c,cruise,vris delete..all go from here
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Thats true, If your planning to rebuild the engine anyway. You could just TRY to run it at obscenely high boost levels stock and see what happens. The worst case scenario is you will damage the block and have to replace it anyway.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

IMO the bang for the buck drops off sharply when you start replacing internals. If you turbo a ZE, or DE a bit, and tune it right, you'll be glad you didn't spend the $$ for more wheel spin, and headaches keeping it in tune. More than 200 WHP is almost useless without LSD, and axles, and that's another $1500 at least, if you put it in yourself.
I can almost guarantee that if you freshen up the DE, and tune it right, you'll be very satisfied.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

thanks guys
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."

Return to “Forced Induction”