My new car, what can I do to it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
i916it

My new car, what can I do to it?

Post by i916it »

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I recently acquired a 94' MX-3 GS. I was wondering what I can do to it for the best performance wise?
I'm not really all that smart in the automotive department. So can anyone give me some tips?
This car has been owned for 7 years only driven ~30,000 miles.
It has been idle in the garage for about 5 years. So it has only seen about ~2 years on the road.
I'm glad to of inherited this handy down =].

V6 1.8L -> KL-ZE (hard to find, only in Jap.) engine swap is so far the only thing I have seen so far.

Thanks for any help.
Dragyn Vyrus

Re: My new car, what can I do to it?

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

depends on if you want to stick with the stock engine... the klze is the best option you have if you want to swap ( as long as you don't want to turbo) it isn't hard to find really, tones of importers that will have them, most listed on this site somewhere...
other than that theres the usual, high flow exhaust, cold air intake, headers. theres a decent amount of things on http://www.corksport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. for suspension, the easiest is probably a set of strut bars.
theres lots out there, just have to spend some time looking, takes a while...
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

"My new car, what can I do to it?"
...You can do anything your wallet can handle :wink:

Welcome to the board, I would start by reading through as much of the forum as you can. There is a great wealth of knowledge to be learned by doing so. Instead of a ZE, you could go with a KLDE, not rated as much power, but should be able to find alot cheaper. I'm a 4cyl guy so maybe some of those crazy v6 turbo guys can give you some better help :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Welcome to the MX-3 world! I'm jealous that your car has so few miles! Use the search in the red banner under the MX-3 @ the top of the page ^^ Since your car is so new, it should handle a bit of boost just fine.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

That cars almost cherry. I'd think keeping the stock engine would be a no brainer and yes maybe adding a turbo would be nice. I'm surprised the brakes aren't seized. Change all the fluids and enjoy your 'new' car. PM me if you ever want to sell it, others here would probably not be interested in buying it.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

KLZE's are easy to find. For not to much money you can put a ZE in, all the normal bolt-ons... headers, CAI, exhaust. Doing the work yourself that would put you a little over $1200 give or take a little.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

well welcoem to the site. You will find more info on here than you will know what to do with at first. As far as performance goes its going to depend largly on how much money you want to put into it. I started out with a stock 1.8 like you and started small with a Cold air intake then moved on to a full exhaust. I did this because those can be swapped over to a KLZE engine and that was on my book of mods to do. I reccommend getting those mods first or at the same time you do the swap if you are planning on it as its much easier to swap them over at the same time as your new engine, plus it will save you lots of time and money especially if you are not doing the work yourself. There are also nitrous kits and turbo kits out there that will work well with our cars. We have a fair amount of performance mods avail. for our cars but they tend to be a bit more expensive then say a Honda part list but in the end it works out to be cheaper if you ask me because most of us v6 guys end up being alot faster than the Honda guys who put in the same amount of money. Now for my personal opinion on your car. If it were me I wouldnt even bother modding it because your car is so low on miles I would say it deserves the right to stay stock and possibly a collector someday. I reccommend getting another MX-3 with high mileage or even a blown motor and modding it and keeping your cherry MX-3 as a sweet stock daily driver. either way I hope you enjoy your new car.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Turbo your engine Luc, with those low klms ZEing it right now would be the dark side. Oh and get laid in the back seat soon. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”