Optimum tire pressure?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Optimum tire pressure?

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm about to make a 2400 mile road trip and I was looking for advice on how much tire pressure I should be running...

I am using Yokohama Avid V4S tires in 205/55/15 on stock 5 spoke rims...

obviously I want to get the best possible mpg but I don't want to have my tires overpressurized so that they wear out in the middle...

right now the tire pressure is 30psi and the tires are rated at 44psi maximum...

so should I leave it at that or raise it to 32-35 psi??
mitmaks

Re: Optimum tire pressure?

Post by mitmaks »

you should be fine with 35-37psi, youll get better mpg and car will handle better.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Remember how my car handles?
I've been running about 42 PSI for about 6 months. For this trip, they won't wear significantly.
If you're not afraid, try 2oz. Acetone per fill up. You'll get about 3 MPG more.
And, believe it or don't... fold in your mirrors for another 1-2 MPG, and leave the windows up. This shouls make up for the weight of the stuff you're bringing for me :wink:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

well I remember a time when I went through a set of tires because I had them inflated to 42-44 or something and it wore out the middles...

lol I have no a/c so the windows will be down the whole trip unless it's raining... and if I decide test the limits of my top speed I usually fold in the mirrors and roll up the windows 8)

on previous road trips I can drive as fast as I want and I still get between 28-30 mpg... but if I drive a consistent 72 mph I can get up to 35 mpg so that may be what I end up doing the majority of the trip :)
npspears

Post by npspears »

Mooneggs wrote:on previous road trips I can drive as fast as I want and I still get between 28-30 mpg... but if I drive a consistent 72 mph I can get up to 35 mpg so that may be what I end up doing the majority of the trip
Is this in your KLZE? If so I find that pretty dang impressive. I about 37 mpg highway in my 99 Saturn sl2 DOHC auto. I'm sure the saturn weighs more but still
Volones

Post by Volones »

There is a lot of discussion about this, but I haven't heard of anyone wearing out the inside of their tires recently. Older bias-ply tires did have that problem, and older radials could also, but newer ones (like the last 5 years or so) don't seem to wear the middle excessively as long as you're still under the max pressure recommended by the TIRE manufacturer. I would run them at 40-44psi and enjoy the better mileage (if not the slightly harsher ride :) )

Have a fun trip!
Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

What about the manufacturers recommended on the door sill? 42 psi sounds high to me.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I ended up inflating at 36 psi... and I ended up averaging about 31-32 mpg... not bad :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My fronts are rated for 51psi and my rears 44, I'll usally run them about 5psi less than max. The stiffer ride doesn't bother me but I really like the better handling and steering responce, and the plus is better milleage too.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Daninski wrote:What about the manufacturers recommended on the door sill?
Yeah. If anything, I'd go with that for daily driving and long trips.
Volones

Post by Volones »

Daninski wrote:What about the manufacturers recommended on the door sill? 42 psi sounds high to me.
That number is a compromise between ride comfort -handling - fuel economy. Lower pressure improves ride comfort at the expense of the other two, while higher pressure improves handling (stiffer sidewalls) and fuel economy at the expense of ride comfort. You can run your tires as you wish, but I have not read anything about inflating them to the tire manufacturer's max being dangerous at all.

Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Doesn't it say on the sidewall of the tire? Mine are 35 and thats where they are...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Volones wrote:but I have not read anything about inflating them to the tire manufacturer's max being dangerous at all.
It's not recommended to inflate to the max pressure indicated on the sidewall, because as tires heat up during driving the pressure increases. If it goes too far past the maximum, the tire's durability decreases, and you'll also likely cause uneven wear. Also I imagine overinflated tires cause more suspension wear, since they're no longer soft enough to absorb a lot of the road surface imperfections.
bdr2k5

Post by bdr2k5 »

Mooneggs wrote:I ended up inflating at 36 psi... and I ended up averaging about 31-32 mpg... not bad :)
its that on a ZE!?
my best on highway its around 27mpg driving at 3500rpms.. do you have 4.11 gears and 5th gear swap?
93 mx-3 w/ Curved Neck klze
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

bdr2k5 wrote:its that on a ZE!?
my best on highway its around 27mpg driving at 3500rpms.. do you have 4.11 gears and 5th gear swap?
yes I have a 626 tranny mated to my ze.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”