Which EPROM to change on the k8 ECU ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
maryus

Which EPROM to change on the k8 ECU ?

Post by maryus »

i managed to get a 93' k8 ecu , with the good code ...

i removed the eprom with that code ending in 2061 , then in place i put the socket and then i installed the chip .. Went to put it in the car , but wont work , dies right away , like when your vaf is disconnected.

What could be ? :D

there where only 2 EPROMS with 14 pins ! please dont tell me i took out the wrong one ...
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
maryus

Re: Which EPROM to change on the k8 ECU ?

Post by maryus »

Last edited by maryus on July 27th, 2008, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maryus

Post by maryus »

i did a reset of the ecu , but without gas , it will not start , then it sound weird the engine , and after 10 sec i have a lot of smoke blue in the back , or aniway a smoke showing the mix is not good .

Another thing , i dont have DIAG mode animore , and when the engine starts the fan comes on and stays like that .

Either i replaced the wrong eprom , either i put the wrong probinator chip (probally he sent me the straight neck chip) and i need one for the curved neck.

But i just need this to be confirmed : Is the EPROM with the 2061 code at the end , the right EP to replace ? thx

now to be honest ... i am thinking ... THE PROB chip cant work with the other EPROMS , so in conclusion i think i was supposed to remove the other EPROM and leave the 2061 eprom there .... just my opinion , anyway its done now ... i can throw it to the garbage ... damn im so stupid !!!
Last edited by maryus on July 27th, 2008, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Go to Ryans site, Probinator and check your install with his pic's.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

maryus

Post by maryus »

i saw it , i changed it , but i think its not properly installed , cause with the chip or without , it does the same. Thx
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

The one with a sticker with a number is the one you have to replace, so I think you replaced the right one. It's unlikely, but possible that you put the new chip in backwards, try flipping it around. Make sure all your connections are soldered well.

It's also possible that your ECU doesn't support the EPROM. Different ECUs have different numbers on the chip. Some will work, some won't. But I think your number should work. I would double-check with Ryan. Curved neck or straight neck shouldn't matter, since it only affects the VRIS position, and shouldn't cause what you're describing.

You did get the chip from Ryan, yeh? You sent him the number and the specs and he sent you the chip?

Did you try putting in your old chip and see how that works?

Also, the fan will stay on if you don't have the right number of thermosensors.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

shameem that's the ECU you can't do. It's a 92. He needs 93+ and he has to make sure it's the proper one. I'll try to post pics to show the chipable ECU but that one in your pic is wrong, not chipable.
EDIT: here's the link so as you can see your ECU if it looks like this or the last four digits start with 16 it cannot be chipped. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a pic of a chipable ECU. Image
Last edited by Daninski on July 27th, 2008, 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, I think 16XX aren't chippable, but 2XXX are.
maryus

Post by maryus »

Guys , i have a 2XXX , from a 93 MX3 .

I checked with Ryan , he sent me 2 wrong chips .. they are not for k8 ... i will check the connections to the pins and then wait for the right chip ...

i am freaking out cause i searched this ECU for 1 month , and i paid 120 for it :D :D :D , so imagine it not working hahah , sometimes we screw ourself] :)

thx for the inputs
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll check my info, a past senior member said that chipping the above mention ECU wouldn't work??? I'll repost if a correction is needed and apologize to shameen if i was wr,,wr,,,,wrong. Hard to say that word. :)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, your right, the early K8 ECU's aren't chippable. You can tell cause that top layer circuit board is full size. The late-92 OBDI K8 ECU's and UP are. They have a smaller top circuit board. Although that's not official information, I have yet to be proven wrong ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

So I was RIGHT :) :) nice to be right. I don't like giving wrong advise.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

maryus wrote: Which EPROM to change on the k8 ECU ?
maryus wrote: there where only 2 EPROMS with 14 pins ! please dont tell me i took out the wrong one ...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alot of people swap in the KLZE motors into the mx-3. Something to remember is, not all k8 ecus can be chipped. Only certain ones can. What I need to know is the eprom number inside your ecu. In the picture here is where the chip is at.

First take off the 4 phillips screws on top. Then there are like 4 or 5 more holding part of the ecu in. Take out those, and then flip up the board and look for the eprom with a sticker I circled it in red in the picture below. I need those numbers. the last 4 digits mainly. If it starts with a 16** it CANNOT be chipped. Example would be in the picture that one cannot be chipped. If it starts with like a 2*** it CAN be chipped.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes I gave that link too. I've heard and read time after time that the 92 ECU isn't chipable, Period. I'm bowing out as we've given the info and I know there's a lot more info with just a little research. The only other thing is if he installed the chip upside down that will cause the car not to start. If thats the case simply reinstall the chip. Ryan must be on the dope to of sent the wrong chip. lol
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”