swap engines

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
huntingking01

swap engines

Post by huntingking01 »

ok so i am in a little bit of a hard spot on this one i just perchased a 93 mx3 1.8l gs (500$)and it needs some work but that is the easy parts now for the hard one i want to maek alot of hp out of it but im having a hard time finding parts so heres my question should i perchase a 2.5l probe engine and try to swap or should i keep 1.8l and upgrade and if you think i should upgrade were can i find all these parts
thanks for the help
onlytrueromeo

Re: swap engines

Post by onlytrueromeo »

search is my best friend, and it should be your's too! :) Read through the v6 FAQ
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

huntingking01 wrote:should i perchase a 2.5l probe engine and try to swap or should i keep 1.8l and upgrade
Not much available for the 1.8, and for what there is, you won't be able to touch a KLDE in terms of performance, but there's plenty available for the 2.5L. It's pretty much a no brainer, just put in the 2.5 and you'll be quite happy
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

KLDE would be the easyest way to go, KLZE is also a good choice but not as easy, a bit more power out of the KLZE than the KLDE though
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
huntingking01

Post by huntingking01 »

so now that has been decided were is the best spot to get an engine like that? and what is the price of something like this? can anyone help
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

KLDE's you can find, most likely, at your local junkyard in an mx6
KLZE's you have to order from an importer becuase their JDM, but if your lucky you might be able to find someone localy that wants to sell their car with it in or just the engine, thats how i got mine.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
huntingking01

Post by huntingking01 »

ok so i have found a mx6 for sale im going to take the engine but will i have to custom fit parts suck as rack and pinion engine mounts ect and when i get this motor will the mx3 parts just bolt on??
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

Mx3 mounts will work fine
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

the KLDE (mx6) will bolt on just as a K8 (mx3) but if you were to go this way take everuything off that mx6 including the wire harness the ECU and the Vaf/maf then it wouldnt be that hard. takes time....

KLZE's engine are not that expensive for what they are. I got mine for 900 ca and then a KL36 ecu for 200 off ebay...
I got the engine from JDM Source Calgary Alberta.
not that ghard to do both of them just bolts on.

whle your at it, when your engine bay is empty wash it really good fix the rust and get rid of things you will not need (cruise control, some wires etc.)

I took 30 pounds worth of stuff of my engine bay.

good luck
Last edited by msd-supermx3 on July 22nd, 2008, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntingking01

Post by huntingking01 »

sound good thanks to everyone who helped with this

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”