Engine temp question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tmac4t4

Engine temp question

Post by tmac4t4 »

it seems to me my temp guage is a little high once the car warms up.
i dont know for sure,because this is my first mx3, however my old mx6 didnt run this warm, i dont think.
where should the gauge be when the car is at normal operating temperature? anyone have a pic?
typically it should be 50/50 right in between cold and hot,,mine seems to be leanin tworards the warm side,,i removed the weather stripping along the rear of the hood and i drive with my hood released, but latched..now it stays cool, like it should..just looks pretty funny cruisin wit my hood popped :freak:
ImageImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Engine temp question

Post by Daninski »

Don't drive with your hood popped. Could be someone put in a hotter temp gauge or your Rad needs flushing. My Mx3's run with the temp neddle at about 7-8 o'clock. Never past 9? If your hood popped fixes things it sounds like a rad issue.
EDIT is your fan coming on? Confirm that and if it isn't it could be your temp sensor or you heed to set your TPS maybe
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

when i baught the car,,the moron, i mean previous owner, had a completley clogged k&n filter on it..i mean, i could hold it up to the sunlight and see absolutley no daylight..so right away i replaced it,,i then retrieved codes and it gave me a code to do with the iat sensor? could it be that resistor or w/e operates that sensor is just toast?
the rad seems to be in good working order with clean fluid :shrug:

oh and yes, i messed with the tps a lil a while back,,but the temp guage never chaged
ImageImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

With that filter being plugged you've raised a good point. I read where you can remove the plug from the VAF and in it you'll see a little resistor of sorts. If it's dirty take contact cleaner and "carefully" spray it till it's clean. Don't hold it right up and blast away, keep the plastic straw at a distance. Then reinstall the plug. Don't use any cleaner with a lubricant. Usually a voltage pulse is used to clean the resistor but it can only do so much. Cheers
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

you mean remove the actual plug not just disconect the wires and spray the contacts, right?
i have the cone type air flow sensor, ive had it out and it doesnt appear it can be disassembled :?: thers gotta be a way, its just plastic :welder:
ImageImageImageImage
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

nobody knows :?:
could that sensor actually make my temp guage rise?
ImageImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I was commenting on this, quote; when i baught the car,,the moron, i mean previous owner, had a completley clogged k&n filter on it..i mean, i could hold it up to the sunlight and see absolutley no daylight..so right away i replaced it,,i then retrieved codes and it gave me a code to do with the iat sensor? could it be that resistor or w/e operates that sensor is just toast? unquote. This was to help you with an IAT issue.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

well to be honest it won't really matter where the temp guage is as long as its not 3mm away friom the HOT zone. Mine runs a bit pass the middle. and remember its a hot running motor so it should be hot. So I think your ok as long as its close to the maddle and a litlle passed is ok as well!!!
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

thanks! it has always ran a bit warm so i guess as long as its not OVER heating then i wont worry to much about it :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

wierdest thing happend today, i got in my car, made it down the road when i realized my temp guage hadnt moved,,the needle was still resting on the on that little pin,,so once i hit the first stop sign i turned off the car, re-started it and the needle started to work again :confused2: :confused2:
i was also lucky enough to discover im leaking gas, AFTER i filled up :!: but i blame THAT on the egr :welder:
ImageImageImageImage
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

At some point after driving hard the electric rad cooling fans should turn on.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
maryus

Post by maryus »

you know what is more weird ? try this : after running at normal temp , turn off the engine , then switch immediately to pre-ignition , and watch the temp gauge , it will sit in the middle ! even though you should have the same temp in the engine right ?

So i am guessing there is an error in the system , or yeah the radiator is not that good .. If i drive slow my radiator comes on very often , like each 4-5 minutes or 10 ..

and my temp gauge shows same thing , the needle is a little bit up from the middle . was the same with KF , and i think was the same with K8 ... so i think is ECU + Radiator related + thermostat + water pump + timing ?

but just explain someone to me how its possible what i just said in my first rows please.
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Maryus,
The temperature sensor reads the actual temperature of the engine. Try it after about 2 hours of engine off and you will see that the temperature will drop to almost cold reading on the gauge. :D
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
maryus

Post by maryus »

no no no , you dont get me ... in one second the engine does not get colder , but hotter.

So when you turn off the engine , take the reading in the same time ! dont wait not even two seconds.

I am trying to say that these readings are weird.

,M
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

maryus wrote:no no no , you dont get me ... in one second the engine does not get colder , but hotter.

So when you turn off the engine , take the reading in the same time ! dont wait not even two seconds.

I am trying to say that these readings are weird.

,M
Ah..yes the engine must be running for correct readings.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”