Check Engine Light and Power Loss

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gfresh

Check Engine Light and Power Loss

Post by Gfresh »

Hey guys,

Been encountering a strange situation with the car lately. It's a 94 GS. About once a week i don't know why, but my check engine light will come on when i'm in the middle of driving, and I experience a huge power loss. The idle drops down to about 300-500rpm and it really bogs (feels like you're in too high of a gear even in 1st) and the acceleration is not normal. It feels like it's only running off of 3 cylinders. Anyways after experiencing these power losses for anywhere from 30 secs - 2 minutes the check engine light goes out, I get a surge of power, and she runs normal again... For another fews days/weeks, etc. Then it'll happen again. I also noticed that if I shut my AC off, and turn the stereo down/shut lights off etc. It seems to recover faster. I don't have the slightest clue what could be causing this, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Some kind of engine electrical issue perhaps, but why the power loss to the engine?

Thanks,

Travis
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
tmac4t4

Re: Check Engine Light and Power Loss

Post by tmac4t4 »

check all your cables from the aternator,starter, right up to the battery, make sure everything is tight, if the shape of a cable is in question, just replace it, maybe upgrade your ground with something a little bigger..it sounds to me like you have a loose or badly corroded connection...since you say the car runs better with all the powered features turned off :shrug:
just throwin ideas out there for ya,
ImageImageImageImage
OldMan

Re: Check Engine Light and Power Loss

Post by OldMan »

You could also have a faulty coolant sensor. I just had to replace this sensor in a 93 I just purchased. The car would run great till it came up to temp, then the CEL would come on. The car would run very rough and even stall out. Codes showed faulty coolant sensor, replaced it and whole problem was solved. Cost was around $31.00 for the sensor.

OldMan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”