OBD I or OBD II, Scantools

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: OBD I or OBD II, Scantools

Post by Daninski »

That's an OBD1 ECU unless that harness is blocking a fourth plug. Like I said three plugs OBD1. I was serious about your engine looks real clean.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
TommyTott

Post by TommyTott »

Crap.. Are there anyway to make a digital speedometer and other instruments with OBD1?
Or other ways to do this in an Mx3.

This is what im looking for to do:

the most important is speedometer and rpm, but also fuel, engine temp, oil pressure and other gauges.

Do anyone know?
TommyTott
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

In North America some late 95 models and 96+ models are obd2 - obd2 was mandatory for all models "made" after january 1 1996. So you can find a 96 model (that was made december 95) and it still could be obd1.

I dont know when Norway adapted obd2 statndards - so the years may vary depending on your local laws.

Your have 3 choices to get digital dash
1) Swap a obd2 ecu and wiring harness into your car - you will also require a few extra sensors and places to mount them - if you dont want to mess with sensors you will have to swap the whole engine too - but there are a lot of options available as you can swap a 2.5L obd2 engine from mx6, 626, millenia etc.
2) Get Megadquirt and get rid of the stock ECU - Megasquirt comes with its own digital dash and the main advantage is you can "tune" your car any way you like - you can specify stuff like amount spark timing advance, fuel delivered etc.
3) Get a DAQ kit and acquire the signals from the harness and write your own digital dash program...
TommyTott

Post by TommyTott »

:(
Then I dont think I will do the digital dash. It will be to much work and to expensive.

If anyone else have some other ideas, please tell me.
TommyTott

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”