Who knows about the 7 nipple disty?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Who knows about the 7 nipple disty?

Post by fowljesse »

I'm thinking about getting one, since I'm doing the HEI + ext. coil.
Can I swap it onto a KLDE? Is it any better than screwing a power tower into the stock one? Can I find a cap for it, continually? If so, Is it more than the stock one?
Thanks for enduring my questions, and especially for answers!
:D
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Re: Who knows about the 7 nipple disty?

Post by FlyVFR »

Here is a link to mod required for external coil http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/vie ... 022f92a409

With the ZE disty the cap mod is not necessary as it is already there :wink:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Mine is nicer.

You should never really need to replace the cap unless by some freak accident it gets broken. There are several threads on Probetalk about the ZE disty on the DE. This is the one which gave me the most information.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701116801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thank you very much!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

about replacing the cap, with an older car it can't hurt. I cleaned the contacts in mine on a number of occasions, and the last time I had ignition issues I found the cap was leaking voltage between terminals internally. It's pretty easy to check for with a digital multimeter. The cap was 16 years old though.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

How do you check it with a digital meter?
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Connect the dots and look for continuity...which there should NOT be. IF there is it means that some of the voltage whihc is supposed to go to one point in the cap is going to another.

If you did have to replace your ZE cap you'd have a bit of trouble, because you'd have to find another ZE cap. But there is no physical contact in the cap so it doesn't wear, but it may corrode if you don't keep it clean. Inspect it every year and use a brass brush to keep the terminals nice and shiny.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

You need a megger to get resistance reading on this one. :wink: So it is as good as it gets.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I checked that thread and I looked at the diagrams but I'm still a little confused and I want to make sure I do this right!

after looking at these 3 diagrams it looks like I don't need to change the order of the wires in the plug I just need to swap them in the same order to the 4 pin plug from the 6 pin plug... I'm writing this down for anyone who does this in the future....

I'm not electronically inclined so it took me a while to figure it out... I'm such a n00b :roll:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, dude. That's why I plugged the 1st 4 pins of my MX-3 6 pin pinout directly into the ZE 4 pin pinout, and ran the G wire into the 6 pin pinout. Works great! The only possible drawback is: If it gets wet, it's not as protected as it would be if I wired in the 4pin. But, if my engine got that soaked, there would be some other problem.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

cool that's what I was thinking! thanks for the confirmation... I used the cell phone pics I took of your setup as reference as well but with your motor being different in other aspects I wasn't sure if your wiring harness was different too - thus the hesitation on my part ;)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah I checked on my dual setup when Jesse had the same question and the wire which is int he front on the stock disty is in the back on the JDM disty.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MX-3-Tom

Post by MX-3-Tom »

What is the effect of this modification?
http://www.mx-3-tom.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3-community.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SWAP COMPLETE: B6 DOHC (16V) --> KL-ZE (24V)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

On the stock distributor the ignition coil and ignitor are located in the housing of the disty which, being bolted to the head of the engine, you can imagine gets pretty hot. It is very common for the coil and/or ignitor to fail and since the disty costs about $400 to replace, the HEI conversion is the preferred fix. The 7 nipple JDM distributor is nice because it's cleaner than modifying the existing cap to accomodate an external coil.

There are many threads regarding this mod. Start in the V6 FAQ.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

MX-3-Tom wrote:What is the effect of this modification?
For me, I went with the ZE disty so I could plug the MSD blaster SS (now Pertronix) coil directly into the extra nipple without the coil wire, so there's less resistance, and more spark at the plugs. Also, my HEI module and all the wiring is within 2" of the distibutor.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”