window motor..

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Tropical Emerald 1993

window motor..

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

yo ppl,

sometimes my drivers side motor wont go up and just makes one "click" sound. Then I either have to wait 5 mins or get it little down and back up. Switch works ok and I've cleaned the motor slider. I'm not in the mood for replacing it, anything other I can do?
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: window motor..

Post by shameem »

Have you tried lubing the rubber tracks on the door - from your description it sounds like the motor is trying to get the window up but cant because of the friction - and the thermal protection system kicks in to shut off the motor....
Tropical Emerald 1993

I didnt know threre's a thermal protection :o I'll lubricate it even if my window gets oily and see what happens.
Tropical Emerald 1993

oh that rubber pads are so stiff, especially in the middle so that was bit of blocking.

Also when I park the car on the sun for long time windows dont respond immediatly. Could that also be thermal protection?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Probably not - It could just be the rubber track getting too soft and sticky.... You might want to try some silicone lubricant.....

Is there any dirt or anything like that on the regulator (the metal track inside the door panel) - sometimes the compound used to seal the door panel melts and gets into the mechanism...... and sometimes it gets real bad....

FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

If it makes a ticking sound the motor gear assembly (plastic gears) is skipping. If the lube suggestions don't work I recommend a new assembly.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
Tropical Emerald 1993

thanks guys, I've cleaned the regulator but most resistance comes from rubber pads that have over the years become like plastic. I've slightly pushed them in opposite direction away from window :welder:

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”