No oil on the dip stick

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DimaK

No oil on the dip stick

Post by DimaK »

this is not on mx3, its on probe......i fixed my vris, so i did drive the lights of it here and there, then oen day i dsided to chek my oil at the gas station......well there was nothing on the dipstick, the engine was prety hot tho.....i put a liter in and it was fine.....i just wonder if its the oil going thought the pcv valve, engine itself has only 180,000 km.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: No oil on the dip stick

Post by mitmaks »

you need to check oil when engine is cool and been sitting for a while.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

so your saing its ok to have no oil on the dipstick at all?when th emotor is hot?
i know when to chek the oil
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I think you got lucky. Go to church and say a prayer of thanks then bang your head off the nearest wall three times and repeat. I will check my oil, I will check my oil, I will check my oil.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

I Had a long thaught about this once. Your oil should be full when the engine is hot. It should be close to full when some of the oil is in the upper end of the einge, ie valves and what not.

I always used to check my k8 every morning before going to work to make sure i had a little more than full on my dip stick so that when the engine was warm and lubed everywhere the dip stick would read full.

Now with the fresh ze i only check it about once a week cuz i can trust that engine.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

http://www.automedia.com/No-Toil_Oil_Ch ... 041001co/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of all the fluids in your vehicle, one is absolutely crucial to the survival of your engine—oil. A thin layer of oil molecules rides between every surface inside your engine. These molecules lubricate surfaces and prevent heat-producing friction from destroying your engine in short order. Keeping an eye on your engine oil level is not only important—it's easy!

The Big Why
Understanding why to check your oil begins with an understanding of the engine oiling system. Bolted to the underside of your engine is an oil pan. The oil collects in the pan after circulating through the engine and oil filter. At the very bottom of the pan there is a pickup for the oil pump.

The oil pump circulates oil through your engine. The pump picks up oil from the bottom of the engine oil pan, and constantly sends it back up to the top of the engine to maintain lubrication. Without a constant and steady supply of oil, the pump will lose pressure and engine damage will occur. This is why the correct level of oil is crucial.

While most vehicles are equipped with a low oil pressure warning light, by the time the light comes on the damage is already done. For this reason these lights have earned the unfortunate moniker of "idiot lights." Other vehicles have oil pressure gauges that constantly monitor engine oil pressure by means of a sensor peering into the engine itself.

The Simple How
To check the oil, every vehicle has a dipstick that lives up to its name and dips into the oil pan itself. On the bottom of the dipstick are two marks. The upper mark indicates full. The lower mark indicates add. Since the dipstick only reads how much oil is in the pan itself, there are a few rules to follow when checking your oil.

The first and foremost rule is that you check the oil while the vehicle is on level ground. Since the dipstick extends into the engine oil pan, it cannot give a correct reading if the oil is collected at the back, front, or sides of the oil pan. The second rule is to wait long enough for oil to drain back into the pan before checking. This can be as short as five minutes, or as long as overnight.

Hot and Cold
There is an ongoing argument as to whether or not it is better to check your oil when the engine is hot, or when the engine is cold. The cold crowd will argue that when the engine is cold and at rest, all the oil is in the pan, and therefore the dipstick will give the most accurate reading. The hot crowd will argue that oil expands when hot, so the best time to check the oil is when the engine is warm.

Both crowds are right to a certain extent, and as long as the first two rules are adhered to everything should be fine. If your driveway at home is nice and flat, then check your oil in the morning when you grab the paper. If you live on a steep slope, then check your oil at the gas station when the engine is warm. Every other fill-up is a good schedule for oil checks.

Lastly there is the reading of the dipstick itself. Consult your owners or service manual for quantities, but as a general rule, add one quart of oil only if the oil is below the add mark. Never add oil if the level is between the two marks. Be careful to only pour oil into your engine where it belongs. Engine oil filler caps are usually clearly labeled with the word OIL and often include a pictogram of what looks like Aladdin's lamp—just like magic.
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

OMG YOUR KIDDING, NO WAY^^^
THIS IS LIKE DISCOVERING NORTH AMERICA TO ME!!!!!!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just remember take your time,,,no Russian,,, Sorry bad joke.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

i cheked the thign to day, its going thought pcv valve, what other pcv valve will fit our cars?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the 5 dollar pcv valve from autozone?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, the PCV valve is like $6 at Canadian Tire
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

how do you guys check pcv? Ive heard to shake it and if it rattles its still good...
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

how do you guys check pcv? Ive heard to shake it and if it rattles its still good...
that and check for vacuum while car is running
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”