LSD for the KLZE

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Legato626

LSD for the KLZE

Post by Legato626 »

I know this is a on going question i seached and was reading. But i was looking for a simple LSD that works but doesnt cost a arm and a leg for one. Plus i am building a beasty KL-ZE and then supercharge it. I am wondering if the K8 trany with a mazdaspeed LSD hold up to the power of a beasty KL-ZE? I have the 300+ whp axles already so thats not a problem.

Plus the installing of the LSD is that something i would be able to do or would it be best to have a trany shop do it?
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
wytbishop

Re: LSD for the KLZE

Post by wytbishop »

based on what I've read here and on iMazda.com the Quaiffe LSD is stronger...but alot more money. The installation is pretty straight forward if you know what you're doing, but if you don't or aren't comfortable, I would let a pro do it.

As far as strength goes...I've always thought that the biggest factor is how you drive the car not how much power you have. A monster engine, driven smoothly and carefully is no harder on the drivetrain than a lesser car would be. Hard launches and power shifts is what really kills trannies. If you're gonna drag the car then yeah you need a serious bullet proof diff, but if you drive it like a grown up on the street, the MazdaSpeed LSD should be fine.

I did a thread on here last year with all the part numbers of everything necessary for the MSP LSD and a link to the install thread on iMazda.com. It's worth a read.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I am not much a drag racer I do a lot of auto x racing so I dont really jump on the line with it.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

Legato626 wrote:I am not much a drag racer I do a lot of auto x racing so I dont really jump on the line with it.
I would recommend the quaife for a couple reasons.
I just finished building my tranny and got rid of the jdm lsd and went for the quaife. The quaife is way way way stronger, made of hardened metals and uses helical gears with no clutches.
You say you do a lot of autocross. My old setup with the jdm lsd would totally suck for autocross, it pushed the car to a front end slide/understeer when trying to accelerate in corners. With the new quaife setup its totally different. I can now accelerate in corners and it actually pulls me through the corner when heavy in the throttle.
I know its expensive but well worth it. I wish I would have done it in the first place. I made the decision to spend the money when I sheared the diff pin and destroyed my tranny. Pieces of the diff came through the bell housing to share space with the clutch and flywheel.
The quaife is built so strong that unless something insane happened, there is no way it will ever fail.
The quaife is also a near plug-n-play. It requires only minor mods to drop in. I had to grind just a little off the shifter guide plate and also a little off the threads of the arp bolts to clear the case. Do a search cuz I know there is a writeup with pics somewhere in the forums.
good luck
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams

Return to “Transmissions”