Oil pump stupidity

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
npspears

Oil pump stupidity

Post by npspears »

So, I recently purchased an oil pump. It was not cheap either. $100. So I get the oil pump today and what do I notice? It doesn't have the dipstick tube coming up from it. Great. I look at the instructions and it says to plug the hole where the dipstick tube should be, and they even provide a plug. Awesome, so I'm doing an engine rebuild and I can't tell the level of oil because I don't have a dipstick. It is a Melling oil pump. I have searched and can't find another oil pump. Only Melling dipstick tubeless ones.

If anyone can find for me a new oil pump for the B6DE with the dipstick tube I would greatly appreciate it. So what should I do. Somehow hack the one off of my old one? I know other people have to have encountered this problem. Suggestions?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Re: Oil pump stupidity

Post by Bumpysbro »

hey ya i was in the same boat. i tried pressing it out but it f'd up my oil pump. so i bought a used one from a member on here and now im using his. if you could find a shop and press the old one out and press it into the new one that should work. best of luck i know i cant stand that mazda put the dipstick there and not in the block like on a honda motor or something.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
npspears

Post by npspears »

I'm gonna try to buy one with the dipstick tube already in. If I find one I'll let you guys know who makes it. I wonder if the BP has the dipstick in the oil pump or if the SOHC has it? Darn :x
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

im not sure u can check the part # and see if they match. i think the bp uses a larger crank snout and the crank turns the rotor so it might be too big or too small. but check around and see. ill see if i can come up with anything
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

My SOHC. '93.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk82 ... GP0051.jpg

Not sure if that helps or not. Hope so.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

make sure that your getting a small crank snout oil pump.
whats the part number off the oil pump, hopefully its not a mellings oil pump, they only make them for the large snout cranks.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
npspears

Post by npspears »

It is definitely a melling oil pump. What is the difference in large and small crank snout. What is a crank snout?

checked part numbers for the BP and B6DE. Different part numbers. And the pictures of the BP didn't have the dipstick tube on the oil pump. Melling also makes one for the BP. I also have melling's number so I can call them and see what they say about the dipstick.

I plan on calling importperformanceparts on Monday and Rockauto too. They were both closed today.

I wonder how much an oil pump from Mazda would cost? $300? Thanks for all the help
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

crank snout is the actual size of were the oil pump "rides"
The small crank snout was 22 mm where as the large crank snout was 27mm.
Corksport sells a mazdaspeed oil pump for the small snout crank at like 170$.
Ive got the same pump and have had no issues.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
npspears

Post by npspears »

alright everybody, good news, I got the dipstick tube out of the old oil pump out!

I called Melling this morning and the guy told me that I wouldn't find a new oil pump with the dipstick tube already in it, even from Mazda. He said that I just need to find the right size punch and hammer it out. So I went to Lowe's, the largest punch they had was 7/16 (11mm Center Punch) so I bought it and tried it. Well I was fortunate enough to find a nice place on my steps that held the oil pump for me. The punch wasn't the exact right size but it still worked. Wasn't that hard at all. I decided to paint the old dipstick tube because it looked so bad. Now just got to wait for it to dry and tap it into my new oil pump! :D
pauleatstoomuch

Post by pauleatstoomuch »

Wow, this will be the first time I can actually help someone out.
First off, I hope you have a Dremel. Use the sand paper wheel things.
I cut the old tube off my old oil pump. Then you have to sand the end of the tube that you are putting in the pump. It will probably take a lot of sanding. Then you have to bore out the dipstick hole in the pump with the dremel. Then put some hi-temp silicone in the hole and the tube should slide in with some help from a rubber mallet. I hope this helps. Here are some pics.
'94 Mx-3 RS - All Black - Fully Rebuilt B6 DOHC .020 over, CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, SE Leather Seats, Pioneer DEH-P4000UB, JVC 6.5" in the doors, Rockford Fosgate 400W, 2 12" Dual Subs in Bandpass Box
npspears

Post by npspears »

thanks, but if you read my last post, I used a punch and hammered out the old dipstick tube. Therefore I shouldn't have to sand anything, should just be able to hit it back in! Hey, but thanks
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

needs some cleaning a lil bit
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”