4 cylinder overheating but its not headgasket?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nate2k5

4 cylinder overheating but its not headgasket?

Post by nate2k5 »

ok heres the deal. i bought my mx-3 with the previous owner saying it had a blown headgasket i drove it around town small distances a little over winter until the water pump/alt belt broke. it was blowing a lot of whitish smoke at startup but i couldn't see any during driving. the car was fine before that but slowly started overheating after about 10 miles.

i parked it and removed the head to install a new headgasket and was told by the shop that the cylinders looked caked in carbon from oil getting in the cylinder rather than clean meaning coolant was getting in them.

what do you think this could be?
Savin

Re: 4 cylinder overheating but its not headgasket?

Post by Savin »

The gasket could be defective. If the gasket was blown before, and it got super overheated, it could have warped. This would cause it to not sit properly. I'll try to think of other things when I fully wake up. lol
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

well it was the stock gasket with 150k miles, as far as i know.

i took the head to the shop to make sure it was flat before i reinstalled it and they said it was not warped.

i am guessing the valve seals are gone since it only smokes on startup but i am still wondering what the hell is up with the overheating...
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

pin hole any where on the rubber hoses, bad thermostat, or maybe u have a air bubble in ur cooling system that can lead to overheating. or like they keep telling u have a bad head gasket maybe the head my not be warp but the top of ur deck on ur block is warp.. do ur fans kick in may be a cause..

there can be any reason as to why ur overheating how many ever get resolved through the net not to many.

guessing is a trial and error system that can be costly replacing or correcting what is not the problem of what ur experiencing.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

well i would guess i would see coolant spray if there was a hole in one of the hoses

for the thermostat, they are designed to fail open

and for the air bubble, i drained the coolant to pull the head so that will no longer be a problem

whether the head is warped or not has nothing to do with the current problems as like i said the shop said the combustion chambers looked really carboned up like oil was getting into them, not clean from coolant.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

nate2k5 wrote:well i would guess i would see coolant spray if there was a hole in one of the hoses
have u even bothered to check by the looks of ur SR reply im guessing that u haven't

nate2k5 wrote:and for the air bubble, i drained the coolant to pull the head so that will no longer be a problem
just because u drained and probably filled back up doesn't mean u MAY not have a air bubble.. happen to me pissed myself off for a simple problem i did to myself. even a decent air bubble could lead to over heading.
nate2k5 wrote:whether the head is warped or not has nothing to do with the current problems as like i said the shop said the combustion chambers looked really carboned up like oil was getting into them, not clean from coolant.
carboned up has nothing to do with oil getting in the cly chambers ur running to damn rich.. if u where getting oil in ur cly chambers u wouldn't be carboned up u have wet oil sludge in ur cly chambers..

a warp head or top deck of a block that maybe warp can lead to overheating.. but hey ur the boss and u know better
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
nate2k5 wrote:well i would guess i would see coolant spray if there was a hole in one of the hoses
have u even bothered to check by the looks of ur SR reply im guessing that u haven't
i haven't checked, whats a SR reply. i was just saying that if a hose was leaking the pressure should have allowed me to see some spray or wet spots

nate2k5 wrote:and for the air bubble, i drained the coolant to pull the head so that will no longer be a problem
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:just because u drained and probably filled back up doesn't mean u MAY not have a air bubble.. happen to me pissed myself off for a simple problem i did to myself. even a decent air bubble could lead to over heading.
i haven't refilled it yet, so when i do i will bleed it properly
nate2k5 wrote:whether the head is warped or not has nothing to do with the current problems as like i said the shop said the combustion chambers looked really carboned up like oil was getting into them, not clean from coolant.
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:carboned up has nothing to do with oil getting in the cly chambers ur running to damn rich.. if u where getting oil in ur cly chambers u wouldn't be carboned up u have wet oil sludge in ur cly chambers..

a warp head or top deck of a block that maybe warp can lead to overheating.. but hey ur the boss and u know better
well i figure as the head is not warped the block probably isn't. if it was i would assume there would wither be coolant leaking into the cylinders or out of the block and there is no indication of either.

i just want to get all the bases covered so hopefully when i put the head back on it will be good to go, the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners are all going to be replaced also.
npspears

Post by npspears »

nate2k5 wrote:i haven't refilled it yet, so when i do i will bleed it properly
I'm curious, how do you bleed the cooling system?
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

npspears wrote:
nate2k5 wrote:i haven't refilled it yet, so when i do i will bleed it properly
I'm curious, how do you bleed the cooling system?
depends, i don't know all of the specifics of this engine but sometimes there is an actual bleeder screw or sometimes you just loosen the rad cap and let it idle.
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

any other ideas?
Savin

Post by Savin »

uhhh....your temp gauge being stupid?
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

What is overheating, exactly? Mine rides steady about 3/4 of the way up the guage.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

nate2k5 wrote:for the thermostat, they are designed to fail open
Not all, there are some that are listed that way but apparently they just tend to fail rematurely, but even the non "fail-open" usually fail open, but no gurantees.

If your getting coolant in the cylinders, you'll get while smoke.
If it's oil, it'll be blue
Running rich is black.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

the smoke was white but the cylinders were dirty like it was running very rich, not clean like usual

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”