Zzzoomx3's Work Log - 1993 MX3 GS - KLZE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

Here is my first worklog 2.5" Custom Exhaust

http://synefx.com/worklogs/exhaust/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a worklog to build an exhaust from the cat or straight pipe to the muffler - without welding. This was made for my ZE but can be made for other engines needing the output. A 3" exhaust can be made the same way - just have to make sure you make it so it doesnt drag the ground.
Last edited by zzzoomx3 on June 12th, 2008, 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
solo_ryder

Re: 2.5" Exhaust

Post by solo_ryder »

What is this post about? May want to fix the title as per the worklog rules on the sticky
MX3-Life

Re: Building a 2.5" Exhaust System

Post by MX3-Life »

Is it for a 1.6L? cause it if it does it really need a 2.5in.
But meh looks decent.
3in would have been to much :P keep up the work.
Savin

Post by Savin »

1993 MX3 V6
That is from zzzoomx3's sig. So I guess its for a V6, lol.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i would presume it could be for any engine that needs the output - 3" would have been ok for the ZE or higher output engine but it would have to be built differently so it wouldnt drag the ground.
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

I've heard somewhere that for every lt you need 1" so I really don't think it would be usefull.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

well considering the ZE is a 2.5 - it proves to be very useful and quite effective - i can certainly tell a difference from the stock exhaust i used to have on there before. but upon further research - a 3" would have been hurtful unless i were producing much, much more horsepower - like a V8.

I found this article:
Keep in mind that the diameter of the pipes are extremely important. There is a common myth that engines need back-pressure. Many believe that the more back-pressure the better. That is in no way true. In fact, engines perform extremely well with so little back-pressure that there is almost none. This myth probably came from import owners with Honda Civics and Eclipses with 3 inch diameter pipes. By doing this, there performance was reduced. They figured that they had less back-pressure that since there performance was reduced back-pressure is good. What happened was that these giant pipes did not reduce back-pressure but actually increased it. Less back-pressure means its creating a vortex of sorts. Think of a vehicle going down a gravel road. This vehicle kicks up dust and swirls around behind the car. Directly behind the car is less pressure therefore the dust actually trails behind the car. The proof in that the dust follows the vehicle is think of when this vehicle stops. The dust still moves forward in the same direction you were traveling. This same effect goes on inside your exhaust. Getting an exhaust to big can actually decrease your performance and increase back-pressure. Think of having a large straw and blowing through it. Now take a smaller straw and blow through it. You will find its easier, unless the straw is extremely small. So you must make sure that you have the right diameter.
For 4-cylinder motors, a good size is generally between 1 3/4 inches to 2 1/4 inches. For 6-cylinder, a good general size is between 2 inches to 2 3/4 inches. 8-cylinders have a good range between 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches. You could possibly get away with a 3-inch pipe on a V8, as well. Again, this all depends on the motor you have and what works well.

This whle work log works with any size piping you can find - I found all these parts at Autozone and they had the parts to do 1 3/4" exhaust to a 3" exhaust. so have fun with it - no matter what you need. :)
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

hey zzzoom thanks for finally posting this up! i cant wait to get started on mine. i might have to wait a while cause i figure i may as well wait til i get a turbo.
i still cant believe how low it hangs!
but i'll keep you posted on how it all turns out for me....plus i'm leaning more and more towards the dual side exhausts
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

you're welcome - but remember - you can still use a 2.5 with a turbo - and you can always add more hangers so it wont be so low. i'm a freak and kinda like it - it reminds of some of the WRXs i've seen running around with the huge 3" systems...
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

hey thats true! a 2.5 wouldn't be all that bad for turbo or non turbo.
i was looking at oreilly's and maybe its only in kansas but their straight pipes are only 2" in diameter, 18" long, and are 8 bucks a peice. i have yet to look at autozone.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

yeah - thats more $$ than Autozone - i listed the prices in my other thread - but i will list them again on the work log. I know the straight pipes were 2' long and $5.99, the bends were the same price while all the other pieces were $2.99.

again - i can definitely tell a difference in engine response with this new exhaust, just when i didnt think i could get anymore out of the ZE - i cant wait to get the ECU chipped next week :D - that will really open it up.
zzzoomx3

Re: Zzzoomx3's Work Log - 1993 MX3 GS - KLZE Swap

Post by zzzoomx3 »

my next work log will be a Fuel Pressure Regulator and later i will be adding pics and tips from the ZE swap
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

aha!!! finally!
now i dont have to worry about all this info going to waste! haha!
so are you going to keep ur website update frequently? are you going to post here everytime you do update it?
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

yes and yes :D
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

Rear Strut Bar Installation:

LINK

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”