Fiberglass Boxes

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Leo_Rivard

Fiberglass Boxes

Post by Leo_Rivard »

I going to run a project this winter to rip out the whole area behind the front seats to make room for amp racks and subs. Im wondering if anyone has worked with fiberglass for the sub boxes and what thickness i would need. I plan on running four Pioneer 12" TS-W3041C's in that box right behind the drivers seat, with the amps, eq, and crossover in a windowed fiberglass box with cooling in the back. Any recommendations, suggestions would be appreciated, thanks<P>-Leo<BR>
renef

Re: Fiberglass Boxes

Post by renef »

...along those lines, I was working on the same thing. I was looking to fill up the space where the back seat was (I yanked it out). and then a better idea hit me:<P>You know the arm rest space in the back seat area? Right behind you on the side?<P>What if you made a small enclosure there using the original cloth part of the panel and stuck a good quality 6X9 speaker on each side?<P>Save alot of space, weight, fiberglass and of course money $$$$!!!!!!!<P>If I get around to building it. I promise to take lots of pictures.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

renef wrote:...along those lines, I was working on the same thing. I was looking to fill up the space where the back seat was (I yanked it out). and then a better idea hit me:<P>You know the arm rest space in the back seat area? Right behind you on the side?<P>What if you made a small enclosure there using the original cloth part of the panel and stuck a good quality 6X9 speaker on each side?<P>Save alot of space, weight, fiberglass and of course money $$$$!!!!!!!<P>If I get around to building it. I promise to take lots of pictures.<P>RF
I'm reviving this because I was thinking about the space behind the arm rests in the back seat....

I pulled my interior all out a few weeks back and was astounded with how much space was back there. I was also astounded how I could see the rust on my rear panel from the inside.

mounting speakers in those panels would be no issue what so ever. Its deep and very spacious, and, who actually sits back there anyway? And if they do do they use to super hard, awkward and uncomfortable arm rests?

I might invest in some more kick bum 6X9's. Who is the sound comp. guy on these boards? I remember reading lots of his posts a few months back, forget his name...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

I thought about doing that too, so I did that about 6 years ago and it really helped with the sound quality and fullness of the stereo. Here are some pics and my cardomain link.

Here is the finished product.

Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

thats EXACTLY what I was talking about. 8) but instead of subs, I would put more speaks...
If those are subs, how did you make the enclosure? or are they just open, boxless?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

They are free air mid-bass subs, but they can be used in a sealed enclosure. I filled the area with low expanding expanding foam to actually make a box for them and it worked perfect. I will probably just through speakers in there now that I sold those. I really liked the sound though.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”