clunking noise: fixed by tie rod end replacment

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
slipaway

clunking noise: fixed by tie rod end replacment

Post by slipaway »

My newly acquired '93 GS was making a clunking noise that was driving me crazy. It would happen when braking...most noticable at low speed, but it would also happen when the car was stopped if you applied steady and increasing pressure on the brake pedal. I had some brake work done just after I bought the car, and I didn't think the problem was actually in the brakes. I looked around the suspension, and the only bad looking part was an outer tie rod end on the passenger side, which was obviously shot. The boot was broken all the way around. I figured that there was a good chance that it was the culprit.

I went to Advance Auto Parts today and got a new one for $33. They had it in stock, which kind of surprised me. Anyway, I also borrowed their "pickle fork" kit. I had never done this type of work before, but it looked pretty straightforward, and it was. Basically, everything went smoothly, with the help of a little penetrant spray and the pickle fork. The job took about an hour. Now that everything is back together, the noise is gone.

I was worried about having to shell out for an alignment after having the tie rod off, but the car still tracks straight...no problems.

Anyway, I guess the point of this post is to say that replacing a tie rod end is very easy, but I would recommend the pickle fork or that other press tool that people often use.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: clunking noise: fixed by tie rod end replacment

Post by SuperK »

tie rod remover is a MUST of course

the haynes manual says to use that white plumbing tape stuff to mark where your tie rod was last.

Then when you replace it, thread it to the line, so it's in the exact same position the original was. Or something.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya whenever u replace a suspension component that affects alignment angles i would get it checked out. your toe might be out by a couple degrees.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

a regular ol' hammer did the trick for me :D
except it didnt fix the clunk,completley anyways,,balljoints are next
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”