Slower at WOT...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SmoothMX3

Slower at WOT...

Post by SmoothMX3 »

It's quite weird and I've pretty much just really started noticing it. I usally never got past 4500rpm to 5000rpm, but everyonce in awhile, I get this little wild hair thinking, when I gun it this time, it'll be quicker. So...
everytime I drive I never push the pedal all the way to the floor. I usally have it about mid ways. It seems to have decent acceleration for the little/big motor it is. BUT, I know it could do alot better. So, when I get that wild hair, I psuh the pedal all the way to the floor and it really doesn't have near as much acceleration. You can hear the intake roaring, But it just seems kinda like theres more fuel going to it then the car can keep up with, got me?
I keep thinking this is other problem, well... I look at it as a problem, but some have said it's normal. My car is crazy loud. It kinda sounds like an air leak coming from under my hood. Like the intake mannifold has got a huge leak or something like that. I don't know if it's normal because I've never heard another mx-3. When I go by cars or anything, I can hear it very loud, and even when I'm idling.. What do you guys think?
I'll see if I can get a video of how loud it is tomorrow.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
SmoothMX3

Re: Slower at WOT...

Post by SmoothMX3 »

ok... I got some video.

The guy you see in this clip, is my bro-inlaw. I got him to drive for me so I could get some clips of how loud it is.
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q249 ... x08013.flv

This clip, I'm driving and going at WOT. Maybe you can see what I mean of how slow it's being.
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q249 ... x08010.flv

What you think??
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I don't see a problem... I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Some things you may want to do - as part of 15 year old car maintenance.....

-Check for codes
-Check VRIS actuators
-Set TPS (and reset ECU) --- Clean the TB/intake manifold (seafoam)
-Do general tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter)
-Check/replace ignition module (distributor) or Do HEI mod
-Check for Intake/Exhaust leaks
-Clean fuel system/ injectors
-Do a radiator flush
-Change O2 sensors
-Inspect timing belt
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I was mainly just wondering why its acting like this. Im about to do the swap.. so we will see then.. i guess?
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

looks and sounds normal 4 a K8. it sounds like it sucks lots of air so I'm asuming you did the CAI so that would explaine the air leak sound nothing abnormal there. K8 doesnt have alot of ballz but it sounds like it does. run it in the quarter mile and post it then maybe we could know if it really is slow or not
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

We don't have 1/4 mile here... Only 1/8. I'd never go down the track with this slow thing. I'd be the laughing stock of the track.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

oh wow thats very weird there is something wrong there! K8's arnt that slow?. It almost looks like no air is getting in or no exhaust is getting out haha weird!. Does it have a weird idle? if so Check your air induction and check if there is any leaks around the intake manifold.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

The car has like a super loud hissing sound. Even before I put on the filter it sounded like this. It sounds like a huge air leak or something. I've went under my hood manys of times trying to hear where it's coming from, But I just can't tell. I'll post another vid to see if you can hear it better. btw.. this air isn't just coming from my intake filter.. I know what that sounds like.. this is WAY louder.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

n/m.. I cant post any of the vids now. when I put the vid clips on my comp. when i open it, it uses quicktime to play it for some reason. It wont play threw windows media player because it said something about doesnt recognise the filter or something. I hate this dang computer!!!!!!!!!!

anyways... The car doesnt sound like a normal car. usally a car is quiet. lmao
My car is hissing at everyone, and echoing off everything I pass!
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

It you want to test for vacuum leaks, unplug your IAC valve electrical harness, then spray throttlebody cleaner around with the engine running. The idle should spike when the cleaner is drawn into the vacuum. You can also use propane.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
1sicMXZE

Post by 1sicMXZE »

my k8 was the same wasnt very fast it did rev through the gears a little faster how does the clutch feel if u get the small amount of clutch slip u wont notice the it at rpm range but just pop the clutch at 4grand slam the gas and dump the clutch 2nd or 3rd higher gears no power for this 3200lbs beast if the rpms lag it could be a simple clutch issue ur not grabing and the motor is workin more than it is putting power to the ground. i had a bad slave cyclinder. and my car was this way.
1sicMXZE

Post by 1sicMXZE »

looked at vid again why u shift a car at 6500 that produces power at 6250 to 7k dont be afraid to take her to red line that motor is a 2.95 bore by 3.25 stroke 8k wont hurt that motor the valve train will go at 9 ive tested this with aftermarket take and disabled the fuel cut off 9k stock valve train tends to go take that ole girl to a7k she can handle it.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I know exactly what a bad and good clutch feels like, for sure. My zx2 had a horrible clutch in it forever. I then bought a Spec, Stage 2 Clutch segmented Kevlar. This clutch in my mx-3 is doing a great job. I don't shift at 7K because I'm kinda changed from how I used to be. I don't really like to dog motors alot. Anyways... Why should I go higher, when where I shift is where I feel my power drop. If I go to 7 grand, I don't feel anymore pull, all I hear is a loud intake and a whining motor.

And you said 3,200 beast??? ... I was told 2,400lbs. is how much our cars weigh???
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Yeah...3200 is way off buddy. Unless you're hauling around some cattle in the trunk.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”