over heating..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
96mx-3

over heating..

Post by 96mx-3 »

my car is over heating...when i push it hard..it gets hot real fast...i shut it off..and the over flow tank fills up and starts to buble...i changed the thermostat..bled the system.. im afraid it might be a head gasket..but i really hope not....any ideaS?
eyezpinned

Re: over heating..

Post by eyezpinned »

head gasket... sounds like you caught it early though
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

woah woah woah , hold on there. before you tear the engine apaert.. check the common things... are the fans coming on ? is the termostat serviced ? when you rev the engine does the water move at the filler neck ? if you checked everything, remove the termostat, if it still does it. check water pump . check oil for water drops just not in the morning .. check it when its dry outside. headgasket should be the last thing. considering you can get a de for cheap.. just swap it out if its the gasket.

if theres water in oil, then yeah. head gasket.. tor if theres white smoke from the pipe.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

You might also get that problem if you don't have enough antifreeze in your coolant.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i did thermostat twice..one was off my old motor...coolant level is good i always check..and..the top left side of the rad hose is hot..and the lower right side is cold? clogged rad?...the problem with swoppin out de is that mine has been completly rebuilt lol ...so its not that simple lol i would for sure do a new gasket..jsut dont wanna :(...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ohhh yeah i say clogged radiator then if one side is cold and one side is hot.

Get an all copper one! its a big difference. It will nver crack, lifetime warranty, and 130 shipped i think .

radiatorworld.com
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

just bought and installed a new rad yesterday...still nothing changed... theres no white smoke...but it seems liek every time i check..i have an empty overflow ..i fill it...and then it dissapears again... i put on 1500km..so i dought its jsut filling up now... i think i am ging to go threw the lines and make sure the coolant rail is tight enough...but there are two lines that go to the rail..off the firewall...if i have these on backwards..( switched) will that f--- me up ?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Do you have flow? Waterpump maybe?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

waterpump is practicly new...and i herd that if its broken u dont get heat to work...and my heat works...the car doesnt over heat if i have the heat on..which i dont get..like unless i floor it every where...this is driving me nuts......another thing is i ran the car and pulled the cap off the over flow...and the engine fills the over flow with smoke ? ...what can cause that..i think its my problem...liek the coolant path fills with enoguh smoke is forces all the coolant out...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

If the overflow has smoke in it, like exhaust, that would be a head gasket, no? How else does exhaust get in there? Odd problem. Would also explain how you lose fluid.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

on the right side of the engine..there is 2 coolant lines that run the the fire wall....the top one had a plastic piece on it...i broke it...and took it off...what was that piece?
or does any one have a picture?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

The two coolant lines that go through the firewall go to your heater core. Sometimes when people flush their cooling system they cut one of those hoses and install a plastic T-connector to plug a garden hose into.

This could be what you're describing.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

how good of a burping did you do? sit there for at least 15mins after it hit operating temperature... slowly rev it abit just to get things going. Other then that, low coolant and thermostat thats about it..?

I have a weird overheating problem right now to, if i sit in a drive threw long it starts to overheat? just changed the thermostat to.. :|
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Smith18 wrote:how good of a burping did you do? sit there for at least 15mins after it hit operating temperature... slowly rev it abit just to get things going. Other then that, low coolant and thermostat thats about it..?

I have a weird overheating problem right now to, if i sit in a drive threw long it starts to overheat? just changed the thermostat to.. :|
Thermostat opening just allows coolant flow through the rad. If you're sitting in a drive-through, the rad doesn't have much of an effect unless the fan is working. I would take a look at your rad fan. If you enter diagnostic mode (jump TEN and ground) with ignition on, and open the throttle a touch, the fan should turn on. This will tell you if the coolant fan relay is working.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

fans check fans!

maybe manually wire one fan, if that helps its the fans that are not turning on when they are suposed to.
-hec

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”