Tip for removing paint from dash pieces

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
christopher728

Tip for removing paint from dash pieces

Post by christopher728 »

Don't know if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything when I was looking for a solution.

I bought a painted ash tray from a 92/93 off ebay and sprayed it with Easy Off oven cleaner. I had to let it sit for awhile and take a toothbrush to it, but the paint came off pretty easily and did not damage the plastic. It did look a little dull afterwards, but I don't know if that because of the age, paint or cleaner. And after some Mothers Back to Black and and Armor All type protectant the color and shine look good.

I've ONLY tried this on the ash tray, so I couldn't say how it would work on a different type of plastic, but I would imagine it to have similar results.

I found the idea on a model building forum, some of the people on there recommended it because it didn't damage the plastic on their models.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Tip for removing paint from dash pieces

Post by fowljesse »

Good to know :)
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Appearance”