emissions test question?

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
chertel

emissions test question?

Post by chertel »

I may be moving to london ontario in a year and was wondering if the klze I just swapped in would pass emissions? It has no egr but runs great and doesn't burn oil. I have a new timing belt, spark plugs and a digital msd box. I have two resonators on but could put on a cat. if I had to. Anyway we dont have emission tests here in edmonton so I have no where to take it to see if it would pass and have been doing some searching on this and the only info I found was from 2004. Some guys were talking about a flat rate you could pay to keep the car on the road as long as it is safetied or if you have a receipt of the engine that was swapped in that it could be tested as a hot rod status? If anyone could help or give me more information I would appreciate it.
Thanx
chris
inferno94

Re: emissions test question?

Post by inferno94 »

You can do the hot rod status but idk if that might get back to your insurance company..

I got my bpt swap tested as a stock b6 (ie according to b6 standards) and passed easily. You might be fine doing the same test it as a gs mx3 and see what happens.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I sent a 626 for an E test, it ran great but failed the test. We found out there was not cat on the car. Someone installed a resonator instead?. Installed the cat and it passed no probs. You may need to install a cat.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
chertel

Post by chertel »

I am just hoping that I wont have to install an egr because on the curved neck manifold there is nowhere to put one. I remember my mechanic telling me that if we had emissions it would be a big problem because there was a hole under the engine where the egr goes but no pipe. And I am also using the klze ecu.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Right off the bat no it wont pass with no Cat and No EGR. The EGR is a lost cause with the ZE since they don't have one and cost about $500 to buy one from Mazda. When you get here I would advise getting a cat since it's a $2000 fine if you get cought without one! If all else fails get a fake test, there easy to come by and cost around $150....... so I hear........ :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've done 2 E-tests with my ZE and both have been successful. I don't have an EGR, but I do have a Catalytic Converter and no resonators, one test was with the stock K8 cat, the other with my Magnaflow high-flow cat. I'm running a KL36 ECU with the stock JE50 VAF.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
chertel

Post by chertel »

Cool, sounds good. I have the same kl36 ecu. Just no catalytic converter but will get one.
Thanx!
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i passed with a magnaflow cat, but had to b tested as a hotrod. that was almost two years ago and so far it hasn't gotten back to my insurance
AKA Deimos
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually they dont check. The only thing is that they need to see "Pass" on the paper when you get your sticker, that's it, the don't care or relay that it was tested as a rot rod or not
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Nd4SpdSe if you passed without needing the Hot Rod staus your engine must be running perfect. I'll see how my 96 does in a few weeks with the ZE in it. I'm replacing the O2 sensors and probably the cat so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hot Rod staus is no big deal.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Not sure, but so far so good

Here's some info on my tests:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=55613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I just recently passed the e-test again with my klze. I had it tested as a hotrod. I had to show a receipt for the motor though, or they would not believe me.

Mine passed as a hotrod, but would have passed even if was tested as the 1.8 v6.

I ran it using klze ecu, Sunoco Ultra 94 gas, highflow cat, resonator, klze modifed long neck manifold, no egr, muffler and leaning out the fuel pressure a little.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”