LEDs questions

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
acexl

LEDs questions

Post by acexl »

oka so i am planning on changing my turn signals with LEDs so far my question is do i wire them directly or not? and what kind of pigtail do i need 2 prongs or 3 prong?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: LEDs questions

Post by Ryan »

I'm not sure, I was just thinking of buying raw ones and wiring them in series with resistors to match the resistance of the bulbs....bad idea? Too much current?
So I would assume two, pos and neg, as this is DC not AC. And the bulbs are reversable, whereas LED's are not, so you're gonna have to observe which terminal is what...
Assuming I understand the concept of pigtails:). Not sure exactly what that word refers to, but I would assume the number of connectors?

Edit. I'm completely stupid, I missed the part about "turn signals" haha... sorry
And could you not just pop off the turn signal and see how many connectors there are?
Last edited by Ryan on May 13th, 2008, 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

are you talking about front turnsignals or rear turnsignals?
acexl

Post by acexl »

so like ryan said yes the pigtails are the connector i suppose,

and moonegg the front turn signals, i was told by a helpful member i would need 3 prong pigtail cuz the turn lights are also used as driving lights, but thats hard cuz i cant fring 2" diameter leds with 3 prongs pigtails any where any one has any idea where i could look

those are the ones i wanna use , as u can see it only has two prongs (cables/ connectors), are those cables one for the electricity and one for ground? or are they both for electricity? if i want them for turn signals only can just connect the ground and the repective turn signal cable and the led will work?
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

well for current to flow it has to have positive and negative, so one is positive (electricity) and the other is negative (ground)
acexl

Post by acexl »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:well for current to flow it has to have positive and negative, so one is positive (electricity) and the other is negative (ground)
so basically if i take the led and connect the wire for the turn signals to one cable and the cable to the runing lights in the other cable it wont work right? but i can pick one or the other right?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I wasn't aware that turn signals were affected by running lights :?
Just put the negative wire from the signals to the negative terminal on your LED's, and the pos to the pos and see if it works before you screw it all back together. You can't mix pos and neg in diodes, (Light Emitting Diodes) because the original purpose of a diode was to only allow current flow in one direction, so you have to match the terminals correctly, because if you don't the diode will block the current flow which will equal no light emitting.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
acexl

Post by acexl »

oka one stupid question, but kinda important Lal (not really) can i like attach both thr running light and the turn lights cable to the positive cable in the LED's, and the just connect ground cable to ground cable to the other end ? or will that like cause major damage like i fear... sorry im really new with this things
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm not sure what you're asking.
Can you have the turn signals and running lights on the same positive? I would think not. They would both blink with your signal. They are on seperate circuits for a reason.
The same negative? I would say thats possible, but I don't know exactly how the relay works, if the actualy relay is before or after the LED (aka on the way to ground or on the way to the LED's). Why not just keep them to their original connectors? Someone else would know better than I, like Mooneggs, I think he's done lots of playing with wiring.
The worst damage you can do is either fry the LED's or short out the running light or the blinker circuit, most likely wrecking it.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I wasn't sure what he was asking either...

the picture... where exactly are you trying to install these? in the fenders?
acexl

Post by acexl »

no im installing them in the mesh on the side holes of my dumper, i have decided to give up the running lights its not like i use them either way

a question for mooneegs, do the civic projectors have turn signal in them?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

acexl wrote: a question for mooneegs, do the civic projectors have turn signal in them?
yes - I never hoooked mine up though - I preferred my car overall to still be an mx-3 not a honda... :roll:
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

acexl wrote:no im installing them in the mesh on the side holes of my dumper, i have decided to give up the running lights its not like i use them either way

Just one word of advice. You can do this, but since these LED's were intended to be used as a running light and not a signal, your signals will flash faster. The reason for this is that the LED have a lower resistance than the regular bulb. This will cause your car to believe that there is a bulb that has burnt out. Do a search, another member has posted a pic with some info on how to disconnect this feature of the turn signals. (I had the link saved, but my comp crashed so I'm not sure where the info is anymore). One other method is to wire up a bulb before the LED light and hide it somewhere (increasing the resistance so your car still thinks that everything is ok).

Hope it all works out for you.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

to urbanconcepts point you can run the hidden bulb or you can buy a higher wattage bulb for the rear turn signals. I have been running LED's in my front signals for years and the higher wattage bulb in my rear turn signals evens out the load :)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

whats wrong with resistors? A resistor is simply a load with no purpose aside from minor heat dissapation and impedance matching.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”