Cant get the new axle in...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Cant get the new axle in...

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

Allright if someone can help me get my car out of my garage it would be greatly apprecated...Im stuck at a dilema. About a week ago i pulled out my driver side axle(it craped out obviously). I pulled out the axle from the transmission easly just forced it out with my hands, then cut of the bolt on the hub with a dremel. I heard its a common problem for nut to be stuck and rusted out like that. The problem im having is getting the axle back in. It slides in about half way then the c clip keeps it from getting the rest of the way in. I know its the clip because i removed it and the axle slides right in like butter. Is their anytricks to get the danm thing back in. thanks, jimbo.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Cant get the new axle in...

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I've never changed the shafts on my mx... but last weekend I did change the drivers side cv on my wife's tercel. The cir-clip is a must. Try giving it some incentive with a rubber mallet or dead hammer. Another good idea is to make sure that the open end of the circlip is facing down. Good ol' gravity should allow it to settle better and prevent it from binding up.

Best of luck.
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

If you don't have a rubber mallet, a block of wood on the end of the shaft and a hammer works just as well. Make sure you hold the shaft straight, and make sure you don't hit it too hard and crack the housing. Oh and spend the extra $7 and get a CV shaft seal for the transmission, its well worth it to put it in right away instead of having to pull it apart again. I've learned that one the hard way many times :oops:
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Thanks for the advice. Im workin on it tomarro cuz i had work today. I know im definitly guna have to get that c clip on cuz if that shaft comes loose im going to loose the grease out of my transmission. ima just have to suck it up and whale on it with the mallet. Hopfully it wont ruin my shaft.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Make sure you use a rubber mallet or a soft metal hammer so that you don't blunt the end of the shaft up so badly that you can't get the new bolt on.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Allright spent about half the day workin on my car. finaly got it out of my garage. Thanks for the advice i used my mallet and started taking brutal swings at it and it finnaly decided to pop in. Stubern thing. I figured since i used my hands to pop it out i could use my hands to pop it back in, but it wasent goin. THanks alot for everyones help!
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

FUCKKKKKKKKKKK!!! nerd racing was right....should have spent the extra 7 dollars on the seal...i was driving back from school today and parked my car out on my drive way then later parked it in my garage to put my new amp in when i noticed a flipen wet spot on black top. I smelled it and sure enough it was the danm transaxle fluid. i ran my hand underneath the car and it definitly coming from the axle. So now i need someone to tell me how to replace a seal. Do i need a speacial tool to put the new one on or does it just press on?
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Allright finally got the axle back out today. Does anyone know how to put in a new seal without damaging it? I got the old one out I just dont know how to go at putting the new one in. Should i just use a hammer or is their a special tool to use? Im just worried about cutting into the part of the seal that flares out.

Thanks again.
NKY92MX3

Post by NKY92MX3 »

I know this way old, but use a large socket the diameter of the seal and just tap it in with a hammer until it is flush all the way around.
1992 MX-3 1.6L SOHC since 4/10/08
1987 Supra Turbo 5spd. 57trim CT-26 15PSI 305rwhp 315rwtq
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

that's basically what I did, didn't change it and then it leaked bad. Just as the previous post states is how I've done it. Just go slow and make sure its straight! :roll: I've messed them up before because they got crooked, same thing with rear main seals.
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

ahh thanks! About a Quart of oil came out of the trans within a day. It really sucks ima go out tomarro and get a bigger socket because i dont have one that diameter. No shortcuts this time, im just guna take it slow. Im also going to use my old seal to try to practice with.

Thanks alot! I love these fourms...sorry for the noob questions. I figured since i had the thread open I mine as well ask. :mrgreen:
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Ight got the new seal in. Had to struggle with it alot. Its almost impossible it seems like to get it centerd. After many time of trying to hit it in and pulling it out to get it centerd i must have managed to screw it up because the axle is still leaking. Much slower but it is. Thanks for the help anyways ill have to buy a new seal at some point and try again.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

When replacing my main seals I used my old seals as buffers for the hammering, being as they are the perfect size! Did the same putting in the flywheel pilot bearing - used the old bearing on top and hammered. On the upside 2x seals cost $28 over here :roll:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Thanks for the reply! A little late but im acctuly taking my car in for an alignment because its been screwed up ever since i got it. While im their im just guna have the mechanic put a new seal on it the right way so i dont have to keep filling up my gear oil every two days.
Thanks...eventully ill have to replace the axle on the other side so ill be attempting it again so your info helps.
lasitersmx3

Post by lasitersmx3 »

ok need some help and i cant seem to fond it anywhere else . i need to remove my driver side axle and replace it
how do i do this and should i buy any thing else at the same time like will any thing else need to be replaced ??
hope to hear some ideas
thanks a million

Return to “Transmissions”